Bidding for a Council house MEGATHREAD

If you dont like it then rent privately.Many people who have got council homes got them and made them their own.

You are lucky to be offered anything at all,many arnt!

The council (Sheffield Homes) base there prioritys on need and not want, if you are that desperate you will move!

We have been on priority since december and have biggeg on at least 3 properties per week. We are on a medical priority so we have criteria that it cant be a 3 story or upper maisonette, must be double glases and have heating (most have) and in the south of sheffield for family support (although we are a little flexable) but not bothered of general condition as we will make it out own, we were put on for 13 weeks and were told if we didnt bit on all suitable houses and at the en of our 13 weeks we didnt have a home we would be taken off priority. Not sure how long its taking now though. Apparently the priority list is really full at the mo so i think those on the last few weeks will be given anything! X

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 20:12 ----------

Sorry forgot to ask. What area are you bidding on? Xxx

We currently live in a four bedroomed council property with my four children. In june last year, my partners father died, so we tried to take over the tennancy, from which my partner had lived in the house for 39 years with his dad. the council told us we couldnt take on the house as we were classed as being underoccupied plus there had already a succession on the property. With this, the council made us priority for a three bedroomed property in october. we have been bidding on properties that we saw fit for us to live in, obviously avoiding the really dirty, run down ones, as anybody would. The council then decided that we wernt bidding on all suitable properties, so they stared bidding for us, so again, we would remove the really bad ones. They came out to visit us last week, along with a senior manager, whom then told us they are bidding blind on our behalf so that we could not cancel bids on the slums they were bidding for us on. we explained that all we wanted was a nice home that was clean and liveable, and not one that was filthy and disgusting, but of course didnt make a blind bit of difference. They said we will have to take whatever comes and should be rehoused within the next two to three weeks as we are now at the top of the priority list. We then asked what they would do if we refused to take a property because of the state it was in and they said they would take us to court to get us evicted and then we would be homeless. we are really scared now as the properties that are on the property shops website are absolute slums. we google earth them then go look through the windows to see what they are like. Its disgusting that the council expect people like ourselves that take pride in our homes and gardens expect us to move out of a lovely clean home into something that isnt fit for animals, let alone humans. Why do the council let tennants get their homes into such a state in the first place. Its making us both ill, not sleeping and generally feeling so run down just thinking about it. Does anybody know of anyone who has refused a property while being on the priority list and what the consequences were. were they offered another property or were they taken to court. if anybody has any advice to offer, we would be extremely grateful, many thanks,

if you want a 4 bed house i suggest you rent privately as you are not entitled to a council 4 bed.

You would quite rightly be evicted as the property is not yours and then would have to present yourself at Homeless who would them tell you that you are only eligible for 3 bed so you are now back at square one although you would also be in an interim accommodation.

my advice bite the bullet stop being so choosy and take a council property you are eligible for, as for your remark about the houses not fit for animals it is you that makes a house a home not the council.

There are at least a few four-bedroom houses to let. See Sheffield Telegraph Property Guide's middle pages.

hi there,not sure this is the right place to be posting but just after some advice.i have medical priority to move due to mobility and health issues so need a wetroom ect but my current property cant be converted ive been bidding since my priority began on 9th oct and finaly they say i have been matched to a house but it isnt adapted so firstly i wonder if anyone could tel me why they have offered me this house instead of 1 of the many many already adapted ones i have bid for,when they will have to go to the expense of adapting it?:huh: secondly wondering what the area is like if anyone could advice its called winkley terrace just of hatfield house lane very close to bell house road,any info at all greatly appreciated, thanks:)