Bidding for a Council house MEGATHREAD

were is the house? how much waiting time did you have?

Wybourn, we have just over 7 1/2 years

we bidded on a 3 bed property and last weds 6th we got offered a viewing went to look and we now have the keys and have been doing it up. We had 10 years waiting time

I viewed mine and turned it down :(

Hubby not keen on the particular part of the area, upside down house with dodgy layout and needed quite a lot of cosmetic work - We're not in enough of a rush to move at the moment for him to agree to very much, hes holding out for something round here which won't happen :hihi:

The bid end period on the house I viewed yesterday was 17/04/2012

So, I'm guessing its one of those that has been turned down by a lot of people previous to me as well, with it taking them 2 months to offer me a viewing!

Most of the properties are earmarked for "priority" people, eg refugees single mothers and the sick,so the rest have got little chance of getting anything decent.

Take a two week holiday in some war torn part of africa or asia,come back,claim asylum,and your guarenteed a council home in sheffield with benefits thrown in.

20 years plus waiting time counts for nowt here

me and my husband was homeless for about a year in 2010, we got priority because of that and we was litterally sleeping in the back of our car! using motorway services for a shower and change of clothes! thank god it spring/summer, we bidded on every house and flat in most areas, we did state at the time of being awarded priority that we didnt want pitsmoor or southey green....as you are allowed to state upto 3 areas you cannot/do not want to live.

almost 9 months later after bidding on properties all around sheffield, we was eventually offered one that we had not bidded on...yep you guessed it..southey green! and we had to take it because we was only to be offered one property, i suppose its better than the back of our car and we could have done much worse so we are grateful for that, just dont get your hopes up with sheffield city council, useless the lot of them!

ive been bidding hard for the last 2 months, not got one viewing, been on the list 8 years, desperate for a little place of my own, i realise there are people who are homeless and bite my lip, they ARE more desperate than me, but one thing i will criticise is the "applicant must be over 40" that i see on the housing list, i cant understand this, why over 40 ??

over 60 ones are clearly care/residential homes but the over 40's ones arent.

is it even legal now with age discrimination law ??

people who have been offered a property and accepted it did they give you the keys the same day?

Hi did you manage to find out why the property was given to someone with less waiting time than you, the reason i ask is because the same has happened to me, house was given to someone with 3 years less waiting time

I've bid on a house before, Acis Housing Association but through the property shop, waiting time 5-10 years, and it went to someone with a few years less than me. They explained that under their policy, people who are registered with them and not just bidding via Prop Shop, and have put on the form that they have immediate family in the area get considered before anyone else.

So by your reasoning there are no first time buyers? People can only rent from the council??

Take your head out of your arse and smell the coffee, people do and can afford to buy and rent privately.

Buying (with a mortgage) 50% of properties are mortgaged, only 65% are owner occupied - 15% owned outright, 35% owned by councils/HAs/landlords.

Very few people have security of tenure. And private rented sector has very low levels of tenure security - 28days!

You can buy area specific bus tickets for longer than that. Private rented sector in this country isn't fit for purpose. People need security of tenure, and affordable rents.