Bidding for a Council house MEGATHREAD

Me and my wife have been bidding on 2/3 bed propertys for the past year now as we have a 4 month old baby now and living in a one bed flat.So we make the bids on loads of propertys every week but not getting any where but what i dont understand is, there propertys we have bidded on going back over 6 months even longer which still havent been allocated to any one. T

They just say awaiting decision.we have been in touch with sheffield homes quite a few times over this to ask why as it stated in the advert that these where avaible straight away but no one there cant give us both an answer has any one else been going thru the same as us.

they may not class you as eligible for a two bed property as your child is only four month old and can share with you until they are five. so if no one has bidded on the property who is eligible it will be re advertised. also some properties you have bidded on might not be council and might be housing associations and there for they tend to take longer to allocate also the other properties won't state as who it has gone to until they have looked at it agreed to have it and actually gone to a sign up appointment to get the property this all takes time especially if the first two couples have declined it

I've got 9 years waiting time (2003) and have 3 children. I've been bidding since I had one child in 2004, just about every week (until recently when I'm trying to stay more local for schools and theres not something suitable every time). I'm in a 2 bed private rented now, but was with my parents before this, and we have still had no luck. In fact, I got offered a house on Manor Oaks (Wybourn) the day I had my 3rd child, and I didn't feel up to the move, and its not in an area I particularly wanted (I live at Norton Lees now and would prefer my eldest not to have to move school again). I also got a call from Acis regarding a house at Woodthorpe that they wanted me to view (it had been on the property shop website and withdrawn due to no takers). I considered this, as its quite near my Mum and my daughter would be returning to her previous school, so hopefully it wouldn't be too bad, but it had no bath, only a small shower cubicle, and with kids I couldn't take it.

As for the actual bidding, I'm getting nowhere, and looking at the results of properties I have bid on previously, there are some from 1997, 1991,l even 1983 - so I think I'll be waiting a long time yet!

For example this one

Greenhill

Annesley Road

3 Bed

House

25 APR 1990

Thats 22 years waiting time!

I suppose though, if you have been a council tenant for years, and built up 20/25 years of waiting time in your property, as soon as you want to move, you're likely to be rehoused almost immediately if you're not picky aren't you? Just getting onto the ladder to start with thats the hard bit!

There will always be a housing problem until the law is changed. Tennants in a property (including elderly people ) with spare bedrooms should be made to downsize , thus freeing larger properties for families. The one or 2 beds could then be let to them. Benefits include less rent , council tax and cost of heating.

Update: Been bidding every week since I started this (about two months or so ago) Just got a viewing for a 2 bed house (Great places housing association)

Happy days

Update: Been bidding every week since I started this (about two months or so ago) Just got a viewing for a 2 bed house (Great places housing association)

Happy days

were is the house? how much waiting time did you have?

I have also just had an offer - Unfortunately it was one I didn't really want to bid on, but just did :hihi: Oh well it might be alright, although a return to Gleadless valley is not my plan :|

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew what Richmond Hall Crescent at Woodthorpe is like. I dont know whether to bid on it or not.

If anyone has any info I would be grateful. Thanx

bid on the one on richmond. its not woodthorpe but its neighbour spinkhill. its a weird area squished between stradbrooke, manor, and woodthorpe, and is usually a good enough area, and has a 22 bus route..

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew what Richmond Hall Crescent at Woodthorpe is like. I dont know whether to bid on it or not.

If anyone has any info I would be grateful. Thanx

I wouldn't mind it, in fact I bid on it myself this morning :hihi:

Its not actually 'on' the Woodthorpe estate, residents will say its 'Richmond'. Very close to Stradbroke estate, with the same type of houses.

I wouldn't mind it, in fact I bid on it myself this morning :hihi:

Its not actually 'on' the Woodthorpe estate, residents will say its 'Richmond'. Very close to Stradbroke estate, with the same type of houses.

Richmond hall or spinkhill estate is what most people on there call it i live on spinkhill drive and one end of road is classed as woodthorpe and the other end

richmond hall.