Bidding for a Council house MEGATHREAD

So when a property comes up on the council website and says waitiing time oonly 10 yrs or above , that doesnt actually mean what it says , im not been funny im just sussing out how the system really works as im told lots of different things .

If a property is advertised to waiting time then it will be let to the person with the longest waiting time who bids for it.

If it's priority, it will be let to the applicant who has had their priority the longest who bids for it.

We have just started bidding on 2 bedroom propertys this week and seeen a few comming up nxt week or so , i have heard so many different storys about bidding ect so i have no idea whats true and whats not but i know theres loadsssssss on priority and they get most of the houses . I have 20 yrs waiting time so i will let you know how we go on , i must admit im bidding on decent areas so it maybe harder than we think but im willing to wait for the right area as im wanting to by the house we get in 5 yrs time or so . I know alot bid on properties there not entitled to so these people will wait along time , thats what the housing told me last week , but like i said i will let you know how things go .

Just to let you know the priority or waiting time property with 10 years or over i bidded on last week has gone to priority as we expected , so i have bidded on a few more this week with waiting time of 10 years or over only , so i will let you know on them but it shows that over 20 years waiting time at the momement doesnt mean you will get anything you bid on the only guarantee are priority people , we should have a chance on the next one as its waiting time only but time will tell to see if the system is ligit lol , if we dont get the waiting time property i should expect to see on the system nxt week someone with over 20 yrs waiting time ha ha should be interesting to see :) .

Hi,

Just falling into hard times financially, hubby signed onto housing register when he turned old enough so now have 6 1/2 years waiting time.

Been bidding for a few weeks for 2 bed houses and was just wondering how people have got on bidding for a house with property shop?

I know some ppl say they have been bidding ages and ages on EVERY house that comes up to suit their needs, some ppl say months to years :o

But i know someone who had 7 years waiting time, was being "fussy" for a year not bidding on that many then started bidding on houses in shirecliffe/southey/parson cross etc and they were offered 2 houses after 3 weeks!!!

So are ppl REALLY bidding on every single house for ages and ages or is the secret just to not be too fussy? Is it just luck depending on who bids on what house etc? Just wanted to know how ppl were getting on really if they're actively bidding beacause were new to the bidding system! also is it true that the council have to "see" you are bidding and showing and interest before you are offered?

:)

Hi, just wondred how you was getting on?

I also have6 years waiting time, I have never bidded before for any poperties. My hubby has got a job at the other side of rotherham, so we decided to look for an house/ flat there. We have 6 years on the roth list too.

I yesterday bidded for the first time n properties in both sheffield and rotherham. A lot said wait time of 1-5 years so I thought I might be well in there lol, but I later spoke to a friend who has just registerd on the rotherham list and she has 1 child and she is on the general plus group, and she said she should be waiting about 1 year where as I could be waiting upto 4!!! No idea were she got this calculation from but she also said it goes on how many bids you put on, which I dont see how, but as I have never bidded she said it will go against me!!!

I also have6 years waiting time, I have never bidded before for any poperties. My hubby has got a job at the other side of rotherham, so we decided to look for an house/ flat there. We have 6 years on the roth list too.

I yesterday bidded for the first time n properties in both sheffield and rotherham. A lot said wait time of 1-5 years so I thought I might be well in there lol, but I later spoke to a friend who has just registerd on the rotherham list and she has 1 child and she is on the general plus group, and she said she should be waiting about 1 year where as I could be waiting upto 4!!! No idea were she got this calculation from but she also said it goes on how many bids you put on, which I dont see how, but as I have never bidded she said it will go against me!!!

I dont want to pee you off but ive been bidding for the lastmonth or so and have 20 yrs waiting time and im having no look up to now , the system totally baffles me i must admit , you will here and see lots of different stories on the system ect but i dont know which to believe apart from my own experience , i must admit i maybe a little different to you as your bidding 5 yrs or over as i have been bidding 10 yrs plus properties so i think the more waiting time properties seem to bring people out of the wood work , i bidded last week on one and called the housing yesterday and the lady told me there had been 178 bids and there was someone with waiting time more than me so i dowt ill get that unless they turn it down , Seems to me the only people getting properties are priority or re devolopment areas such as scowerdans , arbourthorne ect , . I hope you have a bit of luck on your bids all the best and keep us inas iam interested on how others get on , Cheers martin

Hiya!

Yep been bidding as usual on a few 2 bed houses per week for the last few weeks... 2 of them have gone to priority :roll: the rest still awaiting decision. looks doubtful though! Even settling for parsons cross, southey etc hard to get by the looks of it. But from personal experience think i stated in my original post, i knew someone who bidded with same waiting time as us (approx 6 years) they were then offered 2 so they had a choice and that was 2 bed houses in shirecliffe! Think it just depends who bids on what property at the time so just a waiting game really. Hope ppl keep posting how they're gettin on on here im dead nosey lol!

Well thats why I had never botherd bidding previously because i always thought there would be people out there with more waiting time or priority. My hubby was laid off at the end of last year and we had to temporarily move back into my mums as has we could not afford the rent/ bills on my wage only, and as I was working full time we could not claim a rent rebate! I was put off the idea off going and registering as homeless as I thought the could offer me an awful property an I would be obliged to take it. Plus not sure if i could go on homless as I have got somewhere to live as long as I want to I just dont want to lol I have saved enough money to pay a bond and the first months rent, just need to save a bit more to replace items I could not move in here, as soon as I have enough I will get a private house. I will continue to bid though im not getting my hopes up lol

Just a update to my previous post on here , i bidded on a property 2 week ago that was waiting time of 10 yrs or over , yesterday i got a call from sheffield homes offering me the 2 bedroom property i bidded on as my waiting time was top of the list "20 years " , so im waiting for a viewing appointment nxt week but all looks good and i only started bidding just over a month or ago . So as some of the story we here on here about people have been bidding for yrs ect sounds rubbish , if you fit the criterea of the property you have a chance but longer waiting time will always be better .

Just a update to my previous post on here , i bidded on a property 2 week ago that was waiting time of 10 yrs or over , yesterday i got a call from sheffield homes offering me the 2 bedroom property i bidded on as my waiting time was top of the list "20 years " , so im waiting for a viewing appointment nxt week but all looks good and i only started bidding just over a month or ago . So as some of the story we here on here about people have been bidding for yrs ect sounds rubbish , if you fit the criterea of the property you have a chance but longer waiting time will always be better .

Let us know how things go. There won't be many people with more than 20 years waiting time! Fingers crossed the house is suitable for you.

Let us know how things go. There won't be many people with more than 20 years waiting time! Fingers crossed the house is suitable for you.

Thanks , i will do we are 99% we are taking the property as its a nice little house , it does want money spending on it but the area i wasnt sure about but i have been told the road is fantastic and i have spokr to the neighbours and it does seem nice on the road , so its one of those do we take it and wait for something else or do we take the first one as feedback ect is good on the road ect , i hate been confused .com lol

25 years on waiting list and i was made to wait 6 months for a house I now want to move from. It's ok but anybody want it before I give it up? £800 to let you have it, dunno legalities?? but once you're in you're in. Beats waiting. pm me only. Can be made into a 3 bedroom cos rooms very large. I'll even do that for you. Very big gardens and brick shed. Part furnished if you want/need. Permission for alterations and driveway possible. Children and pets allowed. S13. Easy distance for M'hall, City Road, and Crystal Peaks.

Edited by island3rlara
more info.

I'll check tenancy info. it has something about subletting..

Yeah, as in if it's a council property, you're not allowed to sublet. It's a breach of tenancy conditions.