Dog Vaccinations before they go to a kennel

Hello, does anyone know what Vaccinations dogs need have before going to stay at a kennel?

The standard 'Annual Booster' or the full course if first time and then Kennel Cough vaccination as a standard for most Kennels in order to make a booking ....

However, it is always advisory to make sure Flea treatments and wormers are also done just before they go in to be extra safe.

x

not all kennels ask for kennel cough and the research into it says its not very effective? you will need your vacination card to prove you have had all the vet recommended standard vacs and are up to date. to 2nd the above post i would make sure they are flead and wormed too

Does anyone know if a dog is more/less likely to catch kennel cough if they've had it before? My dog had the vaccination but still managed to catch it after just 1 night in the kennels. This was a trial run for when we go on holiday and to be honest its putting me off the idea of kennels again.

Vet said it's like the human flu virus and there are many different strains of it which does worry me slightly.........

Does anyone know if a dog is more/less likely to catch kennel cough if they've had it before? My dog had the vaccination but still managed to catch it after just 1 night in the kennels. This was a trial run for when we go on holiday and to be honest its putting me off the idea of kennels again.

Vet said it's like the human flu virus and there are many different strains of it which does worry me slightly.........

Its not just kennels my boy picked it up last year and never been near kennels. I think its just one of those thinks but just more prone in kennels.

My olddog went in kennels when we went away and never picked it up

There are many different strains of kennel cough another disease which dogs are vaccinated against is leptospirosis which also has many strains. Both these vaccines protect against the most serious strains, so although your dog has the kennel cough vaccine there are still possibilities that he can contract kennel cough.

Some savvy kennels are now happy with blood tests, as more and more people are refusing annual boost and to over vaccinate thier dogs anymore.

bear in mind that the KC vaccine needs to be given at least two weeks before going into kennels

although it's known to be fairly ineffective as mentioned above, the liability insurers for kennels usually insist on it, so we're stuck needlessly shoving vaccine up sensitive dog noses to satisfy the bloody banks!!