Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

It's brilliant and I hope they get the planning permission :)

yup, they got permission.

story in The Star is called "Store wars as big plan is approved" (sorry I can't paste links as yet)

I like this comment on The Star website by Tawny:

"Interesting that Tesco, Asda and Morrisons are all concerned about this proposed new development by Sainsbury having a damaging effect on 'surrounding district centres, damaging Hillsborough, Parson Cross and Stocksbridge'. . . . \is it not strange that these just happen to be the areas where they have their own stores (actual or proposed). Where was their concern about the existing businesses that their own developments put in jeopardy?"

sheffield city council planning application number, should you want to know everything in high-definition, glorious technicolour: 10/03381/FUL

awfull wont add anything to the area and whats to stop tesco building on the land that they own next door now that this has been accepted

Travelers now closed and metel shutters on all windows and doors ....

awfull wont add anything to the area and whats to stop tesco building on the land that they own next door now that this has been accepted

Rubbish, North Sheffield needs this and has been waiting a very long time for it.

Rubbish, North Sheffield needs this and has been waiting a very long time for it.

i dont agree hillsborough is going to suffer as will stocksbridge and parson cross centre.. sainsburys isnt going to fill any demand without taking customer from these established shopping centres its a shame and no doubt tescos will get permission to build on their land now this is approved

steel shutters up now at travellers pub,the travellers is no more......:mad:

It's very interesting reading the comments from "neighbours" both for and against the site.

One couple complaining about the traffic congestion actually live in Barnsley!

Details can be found here...

Tesco for Stocksbridge and one in Penistone, now there's choice for you, Tesco or Tesco

I can't wait for a bit of competition with the supermarkets in this area! All we have is Lidl and I find the staff at best unhelpful and at worst incredibly rude. I am really looking forward to shopping somewhere local and decent for a change!

looks like sainsburys have got the permission they have been waiting for.

Anyone wanting to take photographs of the former pubs -Gate inn and Travellers had better be quick as the sites are now being fenced off and may demolished by this time next week.