What do you think of Home Instead 'senior care'?

I've just seen an ad for Home Instead and wonder if anyone has any experience of them, either working for them as a caregiver or as a client of theirs?

Their website looks impressive - they claim to be the "world's leading domiciliary care franchise", and job ads suggest that they offer training and "good rates of pay". However, a quick Google search soon shows a number of complaints and 'bad reviews', albeit mainly from the USA. I realise that with such a large organisation there will be complaints, and as a franchise the Sheffield organisation could be far better (or worse) regarded than others, so would be grateful for any comments - are they good to work for? is it as rewarding a job as it sounds? are clients happy with the service provided?

In my opinion all domicilliary care agencies are dire!!! They employ people on minimum wage and over-work them. Agency carers run into the clients home 3 times a day and throw a cheese sandwich at them with a cup of tea and then they're off!! Total call time 2 minutes 30 seconds. They then charge the client or local authority top price.

My advice - If you need home care support look into a direct payment and employ your own personal assistants.

im a current client who has used them for over a year now. I have had some pretty bad experiences in the past. E.g not knowing if someone is going to turn up,having different people all the time. You are not allowed to book care for any less than a 2hr call. Although getting an overview of different caregivers that have cared for me, they receive excellent training, although be prepared to rush from one end of the city to another and get called last minute to cover calls. They do get paid the minimum wage which isnt fair. I have now employed my own p.as through direct payments when the girl who i got on with left and the agency stuggled to cover my care. Its your decision at the end of the day, you can only try it and see what you think

Knowing the company quite well for some time now i believe the manager and owners of this franchise do actively care about both clients and staff. Yeah sure mistakes are made but that happens in every walk of life a caregiver may be late or an introduction call missed these things happen. I personally pity the poor devil who gets everything right all the time, don't we learn from our mistakes? That's what I told my kids anyway. What's an introduction call I hear some one ask hhhmmmm maybe not all care companies are the same. I do know however that the caregiver wage varies with certain types of call for example a call involving personnel care may pay more than one that doesn't so it's not all minimum wage and you need to be able to provide six different references to work for them at all.

My advice P.A's are fine but who pays their tax, holiday pay,N.I and has to arrange cover for holidays? Give them a call there's nothing to loose apart from a bit of time. Remember you can always say no.

My grand parents have home instead for two years, they have always found them to be accomadating, if the carer cant make it they will ring and let them know. I would highly reccomend them.