Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

The Armitages were called Jack and Audrey and were great friends of my uncle and aunt in Nottingham. They were very nice people indeed.

Yes, they were very good people, treated their staff with kindness and respect.

Edited by rainbow2411

My sister & her Husband use to have the car spare shop which is now Mac's, i use to work there on Saturday's & then full time when i left school, a long time ago !!!!!!!

A few more that I recall more from the mid 70s onwards are the old Co-Op on Ridgeway Road ,which is now Blockbusters. The newsagents opposite was run by a woman called Barbera and she always had 2 boxer dogs laying in the entrance. There was a launderette next to Town End Chippy where I once saw a couple of Sheffield Wednesday players doing their laundry!!! A bit further afield down Hollinsend Road and the junction of Kirkby Road was a wool shop but can't remember the name as I used to pass it on my way to Gleadless School , so I must have been about 6 or 7 when it closed. Opposite the New Inn was a coal merchants,and just up Gleadless Common was Browns who used to sell anything and everything.

And just above Browns was Dobsons Farm [house still there i think]

Inbetween was a Dentist who used to give you gas and knock you out cold, some of the ladies didn,t like it!

My sister & her Husband use to have the car spare shop which is now Mac's, i use to work there on Saturday's & then full time when i left school, a long time ago !!!!!!!

I don't remember Mac's DIY being a car spares, that must have been pre 1970s, yeah? I do remember before Macs, it was Fashion Focus.

In the 1950's , below Stan's the barbers, was Simpsons fruit and veg shop, which also had a fish-mongery at one time. This was on the corner of Briarfield Road and White Lane opposite the Post Office run by Artie Elliott. In the same row as Simpsons, was a hairdresser, a haberdashers, a butchers (Wrays?) and a Meadow grocers, which later became a D.I.Y shop.

The Derbyshire boundary sign was across the road at this point, before it was moved to beyond the Old Harrow following Sheffield's take over of Gleadless Town End.

The Sheffield & Ecclesall co-op (now Blockbuster) was next to the 101 & 102 bus terminus with its time clock.

Next to Plumbs newsagents (I used to be a paper boy there in the late 50's) on the other side of the gennel, was a grocers shop (Bradleys ?), a radio/t.v. shop, and Madeley's chemist.

Easthopes were the family who ran the Red Lion, and opposite (where the locked up toilets are now) was a large wooden shed used for motor repairs. Smithfield Road was unsurfaced then and was a hotchpot of houses, converted railway carriages and shacks, where people lived and pigs & poultry were kept.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 23:44 ----------

Long before Blockbusters at Town End the building was the S & E co-op. In fact it was divided into two shops - the butchers and the grocers. As you went in, the dairy, bacon and cold meats counter was on your left and there was no self service then. Other groceries were on the right. I remember some things were still on ration and sugar was sold loose and scooped into blue bags. The assistants put your money in to a metal cup which was screwed into an overhead carrier and catapulted along a wire to the small cash office in the far corner of the room. Another wire came through a hole in the wall from the butchers next door. I can still remember my mum's co-op number. She used to send me to buy tokens to pay for our doorstep milk delivery. They were black in summer and red in winter, when the price went up 1d (old penny) a pint.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 23:45 ----------

Long before Blockbusters at Town End the building was the S & E co-op. In fact it was divided into two shops - the butchers and the grocers. As you went in, the dairy, bacon and cold meats counter was on your left and there was no self service then. Other groceries were on the right. I remember some things were still on ration and sugar was sold loose and scooped into blue bags. The assistants put your money in to a metal cup which was screwed into an overhead carrier and catapulted along a wire to the small cash office in the far corner of the room. Another wire came through a hole in the wall from the butchers next door. I can still remember my mum's co-op number. She used to send me to buy tokens to pay for our doorstep milk delivery. They were black in summer and red in winter, when the price went up 1d (old penny) a pint.

Edited by derrek
correction

I was born on seagrave crescent and lived there untill i got married in 1969.

Used to go to stans to have my hair cut,the newsagents was plumbs,there was another plumbs at gleadless church,i believe they were related,the other side of the gennel was a grocers called beckets and at other end of block from beckets was Madeleys chemists.My first girlfriend worked there.

Elams news was managed by john and barbara hall,but owned in the 60s by harold brook an ex sheffeild united footballer.I was a paper boy here in the early 60s.Barabara hall was still running this business in the mid 90s.The diy shop along from elams was called cliffs,there was also an electrical and music shop on this parade called Barrons which was owned by the father of Keith Barron the actor.Behind the church was a church hall which was built in late 50s and we used to go to youth club and some local groups used to use it to practice,including dave berry and the cruisers. In mid 60s i used to go to the azena to see various groups and was there to see the beatles,bought my ticket at st.aidans for 7s6d,thats 37p in todays money,but i was only earning £3 a week.

Edited by jackanne
wrong

Was only talking about Stans today,getting dragged there by my dad for short back and sides,coming out covered in brylcreem,also remember huddarts and fashion focus,got some oxford bags from there :) also remember the "deli" opening, can remember the strange exotic smells,some of the more dishonest of our group found it very easy to help themselves to the chocolate bars on display :o

Not a shop,but can anyone remember George the milkman? he lived in the house near the deli,seem to remember antlers and suchlike on the exterior walls,i remember when on his rounds all the kids on charnock used to hang on to his milk truck.

Was only talking about Stans today,getting dragged there by my dad for short back and sides,coming out covered in brylcreem,also remember huddarts and fashion focus,got some oxford bags from there :) also remember the "deli" opening, can remember the strange exotic smells,some of the more dishonest of our group found it very easy to help themselves to the chocolate bars on display :o

Not a shop,but can anyone remember George the milkman? he lived in the house near the deli,seem to remember antlers and suchlike on the exterior walls,i remember when on his rounds all the kids on charnock used to hang on to his milk truck.

I think the antlers are still on the wall.

I think you're right,house painted a reddish colour?

Thanks Jackanne. You are right - the grocer was Beckets. The chemist further along was Madeleys (later Armstrongs). Mr. Madeley was a great sponsor of the Methodist Chapel. He had a daughter called Ann. We were part of a 'gang' that went to the youth club on Tuesdays and then to St.Peters youth club on Fridays - it must have been at about the same time as you - Tom Frith was one of the leaders and he had a daughter, Elaine who was also one of the 'gang'.

The Chapel also had a Youth fellowship on a Sunday night, but you were expected to attend the evening service beforehand. This was very boring to some of us lads, but we put up with it 'cos there were girls to be 'chased' afterwards !

My dad had an electrical. (TVs Records) shop. BARRONS. Was on Gleadless road where Nat West is /was but moved to White Lane. Think he sold out to Radio Rentals or company as big. Long time ago. I worked for him at Christmas. Sold boxes of Sound of Music LPs. 16 then I am 60 now. Used to go in Old Harrow. Lucky escape one night. Went to but a pie leaving my beer. Police walked in

I used to meet up with friends at night in the doorway of barrons shop,mainly because it had interesting things in the window and each week posted on the door was the top 20 singles and sheet music for that week.

If it was your dads shop does that mean you are keith barron?

I think you're right,house painted a reddish colour?

Went past today and the antlers have gone,pity.