Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

Does anyone remember some shops I recall from the late 60s and early 70s at Gleadless Townend? Any memories?

1. Low(e)s chip shop next door but 2 to the White Lane garage.

2. Barbers shop up the steps on Briarfield Road (now a dance school)? Name please?

3. E(a)ves - clothes shop on Norton Avenue. ANy other E(a)ves in Sheffield?

4. Fine Fare supermarket on Gleadless Road.

5. Sweet shop next door to filling station (now a carpet shop). Before it was a sweet shop it was a food store, my mum used to send me there for bread, potted meat and fags etc on tick 'til Friday. What was it called?

6. Newsagents next door to the left of White Lane garage on one side and the Jennel (ginnel) t'other side. What was it called?

7. Newsagents other side of Ridgeway Road on Gleadless Road shopping parade. What was it called?

8. What is a Glead-less? - same principle as gorm-less.

9. There is a road nearby called Carson Mount - Kit Carson(s) MOunt was called 'Apache', no extra charge® for that bit on information. Lol!!

10. There was a veg and fruit shop next door to Low(e)s chippie ran by two birds who used to go in the Old Harrow, they'll be in their late fifties now. What were their names and what name was the shop called?

5. Sweet shop next door to filling station (now a carpet shop). Before it was a sweet shop it was a food store, my mum used to send me there for bread, potted meat and fags etc on tick 'til Friday. What was it called?

I am sure I remember it as being "Hudson's"

8. What is a Gleadless?

the name Gleadless comes from Glade-leas which IIRC (As a "Gledlasian") I understand to mean "field (leas) of the hawk"

Does anyone remember some shops I recall from the late 60s and early 70s at Gleadless Townend? Any memories?

2. Barbers shop up the steps on Briarfield Road (now a dance school)? Name please?

6. Newsagents next door to the left of White Lane garage on one side and the Jennel (ginnel) t'other side. What was it called?

7. Newsagents other side of Ridgeway Road on Gleadless Road shopping parade. What was it called?

9. There is a road nearby called Carson Mount - Kit Carson(s) MOunt was called 'Apache', no extra charge® for that bit on information. Lol!!

10. There was a veg and fruit shop next door to Low(e)s chippie ran by two birds who used to go in the Old Harrow, they'll be in their late fifties now. What were their names and what name was the shop called?

barbers shop on white lane was called stans, used to go on a saturday morning and it was always packed. Stans favourite saying after your haircut was anything for the weekend sir , football laces , airfix models or anything else (meaning condoms of course ). but do you remember the brilliant old guy ( stans dad ? ) who used to hum the same song over and over again all day long . The tune was i got joy and that was the only three words you ever heard !!!! . Also remember the young lad ( stans son ? ) with the da haircut but cant remember his name

Stans Barbers. 'Who's next United' was another of his lines. Not sure that it was his son, but a younger man called Jeff worked there in the early 70's.

Healams was

Healams was the newsagents on Gleadless Road and Plums was the one on White Lane.

The cafe was what we knew the sweet shop as, and Huddarts was the DIY next door.

there was Gowers supermarket opposite the doctors.

I think that was a butchers next to Eaves, and a greengrocers on the corner opposite the post office.

There was also another DIY on Gleadless Road a couple of shops up from Healams, and a clothes shop up the other end.

It all comes flooding back.................

My first job when I left school was at Gowers supermarket. It was at the time one of the first supermarkets in Sheffield.

yeh i remember stans barbers i used to go saturday morning in the late 60s, up the outside steps and into what was a big area with the big red leather seats stan and his team all had the white coats on with the comb in the top pocket. I allways had a "short back n sides" and finished of with the brylacream. Also can anyone remember the food shop which used to be macks DIY was it called "buy wise" And the butchers shop with the saw dust on the floor. My mom used to work at the newsagents next to the garage on white and it was called PLUMBS they used to have a big alsation dog. all these were in the 1960s. Seems a long time back now!!!!

Stans Barbers. 'Who's next United' was another of his lines. Not sure that it was his son, but a younger man called Jeff worked there in the early 70's.

Healams was

I stand corrected, Stan's it was! Sorry.

HudDARTS, not HudSONS! Thank you again! (I was half-right on that one! they were both on that corner beside the garage)

My dad had an electrical. (TVs Records) shop. BARRONS. Was on Gleadless road where Nat West is /was but moved to White Lane. Think he sold out to Radio Rentals or company as big. Long time ago. I worked for him at Christmas. Sold boxes of Sound of Music LPs. 16 then I am 60 now. Used to go in Old Harrow. Lucky escape one night. Went to but a pie leaving my beer. Police walked in

where carpet shop is now used to sell all flavours of icecream in plastic tubs-rum and raison were me favourite!

Just remembered another one, What about the fishing tackle shop on the parade of shops at the top of gleadless road, sure it was called godbeheres and we nicknamed it godbelugs, used to get a tanners worth of maggots then get on the 99 bus to ford bottom and poach in the smelting pond ( i think it was the smeting pond circa 1964 ) by the bridge inn