Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

Hi I was born on lister crescent number 34 in1943 , at top off our road walk through to white lane half way up small pond frogs was breeding in it . Left at top plumbs newsagents right bekets   grossers cards dress shop and chemists , across white lane old garage , side of paper shop small service station next on shops Mary walkers groceries  smith iron monger  fruit shop and browns chip shop . Side off red lion pub field leading to ridgeway road  . At side of chapel in yard block of houses I think four one was where stubs milk people lived . Also mr sizer lived their. Bus terminus town end 101 and 102 bus Flemings garage where filling station is now. Cohop  and butchers back off bus stop.corner off gleadless and ridgeway road block off cottages Side on gleadless road right side cobblers shop mr godbeear yard at side some sort of iron works redmiles builders daughter riding stables next to that , a few yard further on two semi,s grand mother lived in first one 825a abit further on was old post office and butchers shop a robs road little shop .stubs had yard on same stretch off road good old days ,

I helped Ron Widdowson convert the old Farmhouse across from new shops on Gleadless Road , the farmhouse was just past the CO-OP  on same side .

When we took up kitchen floor slabs we found a well , it was very deep down , Ron kept the well open and used the water for most things inc weshing his hair although he still went little thin on top .

We put in some massive Oak beams that had  visible wood worm holes ,Ron treated the beams I hope .

On 17/01/2022 at 13:27, Slinny said:

Hi I was born on lister crescent number 34 in1943 , at top off our road walk through to white lane half way up small pond frogs was breeding in it . Left at top plumbs newsagents right bekets   grossers cards dress shop and chemists , across white lane old garage , side of paper shop small service station next on shops Mary walkers groceries  smith iron monger  fruit shop and browns chip shop . Side off red lion pub field leading to ridgeway road  . At side of chapel in yard block of houses I think four one was where stubs milk people lived . Also mr sizer lived their. Bus terminus town end 101 and 102 bus Flemings garage where filling station is now. Cohop  and butchers back off bus stop.corner off gleadless and ridgeway road block off cottages Side on gleadless road right side cobblers shop mr godbeear yard at side some sort of iron works redmiles builders daughter riding stables next to that , a few yard further on two semi,s grand mother lived in first one 825a abit further on was old post office and butchers shop a robs road little shop .stubs had yard on same stretch off road good old days ,

Charnock hall road had scout hut top of hill next to block of garages small path leading to fiddlers farm house and barn charnock school opened around 1951 I went first day moved from ridgeway infant school , head master mr night  caretaker mr stanly fist class miss cadman  also mr kershaw , top of briafield crescent small private school . They started charnock estate around 1957 , our house on lister crescent built by joe smith builder, when they built basegreen estate horse and cart took round gobo  eg sand and cement for bricklayers on lister drive was a coal seam . All my mates lived on that estate ,some mothers  of private houses said don,t play with them . Well I say that estate was best thing that happened  in my growing up years  some great people . 

Great memories G , funny enough my first job when I started for Parkins builders at Tinkers corner was taking Bonnie the shire horse around the site delivering gobo and bricks to the gangs I was 15 at the time .

That bleedin horse got me into some real trouble when I used the tea mashing bucket to feed her oats .

A joiner who was aged around 30 smacked me in the nose because he had  oats in his tea , I got my own back years later when I saw him in the Carlton club , his name was Jim he lived on Charnock .

On 18/01/2022 at 16:56, Slinny said:

top of briafield crescent small private school 

I used to live on Smithfield Rd and there was until recently a small building (rendered white) next to one of the houses on Briafied Ave that at first glance looked like a house garage, but I was told it used to be a school. Now pulled down.

Charnock hall road had scout hut top of hill next to block of garages small path leading to fiddlers farm house and barn charnock school opened around 1951 I went first day moved from ridgeway infant school , head master mr night  caretaker mr stanly fist class miss cadman  also mr kershaw , top of briafield crescent small private school . They started charnock estate around 1957 , our house on lister crescent built by joe smith builder, when they built basegreen estate horse and cart took round gobo  eg sand and cement for bricklayers on lister drive was a coal seam . All my mates lived on that estate ,some mothers  of private houses said don,t play with them . Well I say that estate was best thing that happened  in my growing up years  some great people . 

Hi Slinny,

I recall going to Cubs at that scout hut;  and on one occasion when it was raining 'cats and dogs' being taken in a mate's dad's sidecar: the only time I've ever been in one. I also went to the fair on Fidler's field when it came each year. Missed the Beatles at the Azena though! Do you remember the open days at Norton aerodrome?

echo.

Could the wall opposite Barons barbers shop  on Selig way also be a bit of the old Fiddlers wall?

5 hours ago, echo beach said:

Do you remember the open days at Norton aerodrome?

What year did they stop?

I recall as a kid in the 70's going there and seeing some cars putting on a display, whizzing around a course that had bene laid out. It must have been an open day but my parents don't recall it, and we lived nearby.

Hi I went to  Norton aarodrone onopening  days from about 1948 till  about 1951 a man who was stationed at camp was celer man in war,worked , in Sheffield and Healy for many years , as young boy and teenager played in wood atback off airodrome and went on track cycle around their . Good old days,

Hi a few things I remember when Stan had hairDressers his brother worked their now and again also he had a apprentice Jeff who lived on lister crescent . Shop next to garage started as a cafe . Shop that was macs do it your self was grocers shop . Top of briafield I think road was old yard where mobile shop was kept,side o that was a no through road at bottom was a big bungalow on left side . Where charity shop is now , across road is flats before them was row off cottages wherei  got bus to go to ridgeway school ,  a blind man called Dennis came every day with dog to talk to us kids . Bottom off lister crescent before basegreen estate was built , was farmers field  with cows in it . Where quaryy vale estate is now there was a quary a poor young lad drowned in it  god bless him . Big chimney in quary I saw it come down  about 1957  we’ll all our yesterdays 

On 17/01/2022 at 13:27, Slinny said:

Just as a matter of interest, did you pay your house rates to Chesterfield/Derbyshire? My brother moved into a new house on Lister drive and they had to go to Chesterfield to pay their rates.