Did you have a school hymn?

At Shiregreen Secondary Modern (Bracken Road) we had a school motto song as follows:

Our school you've seen

the changes there have been

the new may come

the old may go

but in our hearts and minds we'll know

The Utmost For The Highest

our aim at Shiregreen

Sad fact is that I can still remember the words and the tune !! :-(

The original "Crossed Torches" school was Nether Edge Grammar School for Boys.

The school hymn was "Fight the Good Fight".

In the junior school it was to be a pilgrim which I believe was Winston Churchills favourite hymn. In the senior school it was Fight the Good Fight, quite apt I thought, as my old school was Norfolk.[/quote

fight the good fight was played at my wedding, everyone was scrapping

when they got out of pub, good old days

haha OMG the notre dame song, i cant get it out of my bloody head now......

Thought the Abbeydale Boys had something about 'hold up the torch devine' in the second verse. As in school badge. May be wrong. Was 50 years ago

I think part of the song was something like:

"Hold up to heaven the torch divine

All else is being flung away"

Happy days from 1958 to 1963.

And this is King Ted's:

..Tempus est ut concinamus, quicquid Edwardensium,

..nunc adestis: hoc sit omnis thema nostri carminis:

..qualis est qui cuique nostrum semper aemulandus est?

..Ille verus Edwardensis, quisquis humani nihil

..a sese alienum putabit, usque consors ceteris

..sive gaudebunt secundis seu laborabunt malis.

..Strenuus labore mentis, corporis non neglegens,

..omnium sententiarum perspicax inquisitor,

..semper artium bonarum pervicax videbitur.

Which translates as:

'It is time to sing together: all Edwardians that are now present, let this be the theme of our song: what kind of man is he whom we should all imitate?

It is that true Edwardian who considers that nothing human is alien to him, ever associating with others, whether they rejoice in prosperity or toil under troubles. Energetic in mental effort, he does not neglect his body; a penetrating investigator of all opinions, he will always appear steadfast in honest dealing.'

What a load of crap..:P

Well I used to sing it, without ever knowing what it meant.

The line about "considering nothing human is alien" well the author of that has obviously never met my wife....(sorry dear, only kidding).

The really sad bit is, after all these years, why do I still remember the first few lines ?

Edited by pitsmoorlad

Don't think i'm allowed to say on a family forum

i went to phillimore road infant and junior school in the early 60s and i remember our school song was Jerusalem which i am sure we all sang at least once a week at assembly. What a shame the primary schools nowadays dont have school songs

Chaucer decided to have the hymn " to be a pilgrim" for some reason and I still remember all the words.

This was between 1966 and 1973

"....his one avowed intent, to be a grimpil." As sung by all the spotty herberts in morning assembly.

"Now thank we all our God"

Sheffield Girls' High. Sung at the beginning & end of term, school's birthday etc.

Hi Bertielil - only just found your second post for some reason - I was at SHS 1962 -69 & remember all of the teachers you name,especially Miss Lucas who,although not a teacher,struck fear into our hearts whenever we crossed the vestibule!My favourite was Miss Grayson & her wonderful teaching of English has stood me in good stead ever since.

Do you also remember singing "Lord Dismiss Us With Thy Blessing" at the end of every term?In July, at the end of the school year,there would always be girls sobbing as they tried to sing because they were leaving (hysterical relief for most,I guess!)

Hi jstarr,

Yes I remember "Lord dismiss us....". Truly Miss Lucas was the scariest person. When I was in th Upper 6th, she stopped me in the corridor, marched me into the office & tied my hair into bunches with STRING. "How dare your parents send you to school with all that flapping around your face, it is unhygienic & dangerous" I was mortified. Happy days.

I am making an edition of a BBC radio programme called Profile about the new Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe, who went to Hinde House between 1961 and 1975. It would be great to speak to anyone who remembers him – just trying to get an idea of what he was like as a child an what kind of place Hinde House was. I am on lucy.proctor@bbc.co.uk or 020 8752 6194.