Ventura photography, Woodseats - does anyone know the prices?

I think we're comparing apples with pears jezzy, I wouldn't go near a franchised type portrait business in a thousand years. We had some family shots done a few years ago, the photographer did mainly advertising work but opened his studio at weekends for family/wedding that kind of stuff. We paid about £400 (about 12 years ago), and got a couple of hours of studio time+a selection of unframed prints which were excellent, they even made me look half decent!

That was a lot of money then, easily comparable to what people pay at Venture. So is that where you got your Avatar photo?;)

I was surprised myself especially as they're likely to be talking up the profit potential on their website. But nonetheless, their overhead costs are their problem, not mine. If it wasn't so expensive to set up a franchise then obviously those margins would be higher. The help they offer their franchisees wouldn't be required by an experienced, qualified photographer who would own and manage their own business and not have to hire external photographers.
I think many of their franchisees would be photographers, so wouldn't need to hire in one. I know people who are happy as part of a franchise as they feel they have better recognition and kudos as a result. Even if there are greater overheads. But Venture have a huge name recognition over your usual high street photographer and that may be worth paying for.

I'm a business owner and very aware of the harsh realities of that life, especially right now, I'm sure a 'luxury product' type business like Venture must really be feeling the pinch during this recession.
Sometimes luxury items survive better in times of hardship, sometimes they don't. Depends who is suffering and what people's priorities are.

That was a lot of money then, easily comparable to what people pay at Venture. So is that where you got your Avatar photo?;)
I've had a look at this using an inflation calculator (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/historic-inflation-calculator), the sum of £400 in 1998 would be £536 now, to be honest I'd be happy to pay more than that for the pictures that were produced, but not Venture prices.

I think many of their franchisees would be photographers, so wouldn't need to hire in one. I know people who are happy as part of a franchise as they feel they have better recognition and kudos as a result. Even if there are greater overheads. But Venture have a huge name recognition over your usual high street photographer and that may be worth paying for.

..and obviously they're their unique selling points, but the franchisee and therefore the customer is paying for it-an experienced, creative photographer who doesn't need all those features could produce the same product for less because they're overheads are much lower. There may be some advantages to the independent photographer in terms of savings in marketing spend, as Venture have an established identity as you say.

Sometimes luxury items survive better in times of hardship, sometimes they don't. Depends who is suffering and what people's priorities are.

I'd be very surprised if Venture franchisee's revenue increases for the forseeable future.