Council waiting list - how long are you really waiting?

but the fact that you do not have priority obviously means you do have a roof over your head, so surely someone who does not will infact be more in need of a home!

Yes i do have a roof over my head, and have for 9 years, the sheer fact i want to have my own place, so that my daughter can come stay is the reason i am be victimized against is it?

One in four homes may goto priority, but if the one is house for priority i wont be able to bid on it, so then im back to square one and have to wait anyother 9 years to get even offered anything.

its unfair how it works as anyone can jump the list and take a property you waited 9 years to be entitled to.

3/4 specifically for priority. Priority applicants can bid on any home and may have waiting time of their own.

1/4 for waiting time, about 1/16th of them specifically for over 60s (allowing them to bid on 1/4 of properties), a further 16th for over 40s (allowing them to bid on 3/16ths of properties). Anybody under 40 with only waiting time can only bid on 1/8th of the properties which become available. The younger you are the less waiting time you have and thus less chance even further still.

First come first served effectively only exist for the over 60s, and that has been the case for a good few years, suggesting too many properties are available for the over 60s, especially when the same property is first come first served for months at a time.

Shelter estimates without anybody joining the list it will take up until 2032 to clear.
Just out of curiosity is this sheffield or the UK?

Yes i do have a roof over my head, and have for 9 years, the sheer fact i want to have my own place, so that my daughter can come stay is the reason i am be victimized against is it?

i dont see how you are being victimized, you are bidding in the same system as everybody else who is waiting its not just homelessness that gets priority its also the disabled the ill those downsizing people who are being forced to move due to refurbishment etc, the fact of the matter is that some are in more need than others if you went to the hospital with a broken toe would you claim to be victimised if someone came in having a heart attack and got seen to first?

3/4 specifically for priority. Priority applicants can bid on any home and may have waiting time of their own.

1/4 for waiting time, about 1/16th of them specifically for over 60s (allowing them to bid on 1/4 of properties), a further 16th for over 40s (allowing them to bid on 3/16ths of properties). Anybody under 40 with only waiting time can only bid on 1/8th of the properties which become available. The younger you are the less waiting time you have and thus less chance even further still.

First come first served effectively only exist for the over 60s, and that has been the case for a good few years, suggesting too many properties are available for the over 60s, especially when the same property is first come first served for months at a time.

Thats where i am being only 27. :(

Just out of curiosity is this sheffield or the UK?

This is for Sheffield.

http://housingleaguetable.org.uk/Sheffield-summary

Bare in mind these figures are taken from a few years ago, the list has increased, houses have been demolished, (affordable homes include 25% shared ownership) and the price of housing has risen and wages have fallen.

Edited by chem1st

i dont see how you are being victimized, you are bidding in the same system as everybody else who is waiting its not just homelessness that gets priority its also the disabled the ill those downsizing people who are being forced to move due to refurbishment etc, the fact of the matter is that some are in more need than others if you went to the hospital with a broken toe would you claim to be victimised if someone came in having a heart attack and got seen to first?

because i work full time, yet i am not eligible to bid on properties that would be sutiable for my needs.

http://housingleaguetable.org.uk/Sheffield-summary

Bare in mind these figures are taken from a few years ago, the list has increased, houses have been demolished, (affordable homes include 25% shared ownership) and the price of housing has risen and wages have fallen.

I don't know why i'm shocked but I am. Edited by discodown

Would I have a chance with 29 years waiting time?

Just after some advise for my parents. They have a pub and due to my dad been very ill with cancer are looking to sell it as my mother cannot look after my dad and run their business as well.

My mother gas been bidding for around 5months each week on properties they'd be happy to live in and spoke to the council recently and was told she had a good chance on getting something soon as they have 11 years waiting time?

Is this realistic or are Sheffield Property Shop just fobbing my parents off?

I only ask as a friend has been bidding for over a year with 7years waiting time.

Its realistic - but much will depend on what size and type of property they are bidding on, and the area. Flats and maisonettes usually go to people with less waiting time than houses, which are in the highest demand. Have your parents discussed their needs with someone from Sheffield Homes?

Thats where i am being only 27. :(

You can't get one a 27, and have 9 years, considering one has to be over the age of 16 to register, a person must be 25 before they can get 9 years waiting time. Housing benefit, JSA etc. are all lower for people under 25.

People under 25 cannot claim working tax credits and thus are in a greater need for affordable housing, and struggle to compete with people older than them with greater rates of workign pay and benefits, specifically housing benefit which pushes up the rental prices of property to above what they can afford.

Thus one can logically see the real disincentive to work amongst the youth of today.

All in all, you really do have it better than anybody younger than yourself, whether they work or not, whether you work or not. And lets face it, the chance of you being housed is practically 0, what of the people younger than yourself?

because i work full time, yet i am not eligible to bid on properties that would be sutiable for my needs.
:huh:

millions of people work but this does not change the fact that some are more in need than others priority is not easy to get they dont just hand it out willy nilly!