Council waiting list - how long are you really waiting?

Would I have a chance with 29 years waiting time?

29 years waiting time at this current moment in time will get you 90% of the properties which come available, of the 3/16 of properties which come available to people over 40 but under 60.

:huh:

millions of people work but this does not change the fact that some are more in need than others priority is not easy to get they dont just hand it out willy nilly!

But not to have been offered anything, even a one bedroom flat in 9 years of bidding, there cant be that many people who need priority, and looking at the sheffieldpropertyshop, all the listings say Priority or Waiting time!

I remember the wait was 13 years, that was in the 50s/60s.

29 years waiting time at this current moment in time will get you 90% of the properties which come available, of the 3/16 of properties which come available to people over 40 but under 60.

Thanks for that, I was thinking of giving my house to my daughter and having a council house.

But not to have been offered anything, even a one bedroom flat in 9 years of bidding, there cant be that many people who need priority, and looking at the sheffieldpropertyshop, all the listings say Priority or Waiting time!

yes i know they all say priority or waiting time, priority for people who have it or waiting time for people like you other than first come ones they are the only types of listings on there,

and just to play devil's advacate you said you wanted housed so ya daughter could come and stay yeah? so over 9 years could you not of got together one months rent and deposit to rent some where whilst waiting specialy if your working that way you could have your daughter over to stay whilst awaiting a property.

yes i know they all say priority or waiting time, priority for people who have it or waiting time for people like you other than first come ones they are the only types of listings on there,

and just to play devil's advacate you said you wanted housed so ya daughter could come and stay yeah? so over 9 years could you not of got together one months rent and deposit to rent some where whilst waiting specialy if your working that way you could have your daughter over to stay whilst awaiting a property.

I could have done, but id still be private renting now wouldnt i?

Plus my daughter isnt 9 years old, so the need just got worse over last year and half!

Plus the cost is alot more than council rents and that would mean i would have less money to supply for my daughter!

Its realistic - but much will depend on what size and type of property they are bidding on, and the area. Flats and maisonettes usually go to people with less waiting time than houses, which are in the highest demand. Have your parents discussed their needs with someone from Sheffield Homes?

Yes they've done a change in circumstances (my dads health). My dad is now classed as disabled so they're looking for a ground floor flat or a disabled house/bungalow.

They would like to stay in the area where they are now to stay close to family so we can help out. My mum and dad are new to all this with the council as they were home owners before the pub and i just thought i'd ask on here what people thought to their waiting time.

the priority all though substansual does not effect the bidder who has built of waiting time as 1 in every 4 homes is listed for waiting time bidders only, i do think there should be some sort of incentive for people to give up non needed homes though ie those in large homes whose children have flown the nest or those with no children , i dont blieve there should be forced to give up there property but they should be tempted to perhaps a monetry bribe would do the trick to get people to down-size or put them in the position to put a deposit down on a property, these schemes have helped out big time with a couple of southern councils!

i dont agree that 1 in 4 are for waiting time. there are a few that are waiting time but not as many in 1 in 4 well not for what i'm looking for anyway. at the end of the day i was told that until i'd got around 20 years waiting time there is no point in bidding for a 3 bedroomed house anywhere!!!

You can't get one a 27, and have 9 years, considering one has to be over the age of 16 to register, a person must be 25 before they can get 9 years waiting time. Housing benefit, JSA etc. are all lower for people under 25.

People under 25 cannot claim working tax credits and thus are in a greater need for affordable housing, and struggle to compete with people older than them with greater rates of workign pay and benefits, specifically housing benefit which pushes up the rental prices of property to above what they can afford.

Thus one can logically see the real disincentive to work amongst the youth of today.

All in all, you really do have it better than anybody younger than yourself, whether they work or not, whether you work or not. And lets face it, the chance of you being housed is practically 0, what of the people younger than yourself?

We claim working tax credits and my partner was 22 when we started to claim it? :confused:

Every week he'll be promised he'll get one soon, that's probably been going on for 9 years.

Just a quick question, what are the advantages now of l,iving in a council house, we lived on the Southey Estate back in the 50s/60, that was before you could own it yourself, it was a great place to live, close to the park ect, is it so much cheaper ? why do retired people want them ?...just being nosey :)

We claim working tax credits and my partner was 22 when we started to claim it? :confused:
Do you have children?