Council waiting list - how long are you really waiting?

Just after some advise for my parents. They have a pub and due to my dad been very ill with cancer are looking to sell it as my mother cannot look after my dad and run their business as well.

My mother gas been bidding for around 5months each week on properties they'd be happy to live in and spoke to the council recently and was told she had a good chance on getting something soon as they have 11 years waiting time?

Is this realistic or are Sheffield Property Shop just fobbing my parents off?

I only ask as a friend has been bidding for over a year with 7years waiting time.

Ive been on the list 9 years, bid everyweek even on one bed flats in the areas i want and have never been succesfull, it will all depend on priority, as even though they been on 11 year's there maybe someone who has been on less but has more of a priority etc.

took me 6 months to be granted priority, they afterwards said i should of had it from the start but it took letters from doctors nurses physcologist physciatrist and 2 mp's (i met the conditions of several of the reasons it can be granted) after i was granted priority it only took 5 weeks how ever i did bid on pretty much every 2 bed property though.

as the move is required for medical reasons i'd suggest to your mum to also apply for medical priority!

i was told the other day when i rung the housing that i will not get any property in a million years cos the priority list is endless

I have been bidding every week for 5 years now, without a single offer, I bid on as many 1 bed flats as there is available in the less desirable areas. There are upwards of 100 bids made on every property that comes available except for bedsits and ground floor flats in the less desirable areas. I know many people who have given up bidding and are waiting to get over ten years before trying to get a bedsit/1bed flat in the less desirable areas.

You have over 100000 on the list and you have 5000-7000 people in Sheffield reaching adulthood every year, along with people migrating here from England, Europe and the rest of the World.

Shelter estimates without anybody joining the list it will take up until 2032 to clear.

The organization continues to sell off properties and demolish homes, although it has begun building 3/4/5 bed homes with extra reception rooms in Burngreave Firvale and Darnall specifically to meet the needs of the BME population. This will inevitably lead to increased racial tensions in the city due to the lack of housing (specifically lack of house building) for native Sheffielders along with white only/BME only neighbourhoods. The city council continues to welcome immigration, even calling for it to be made a city of sanctuary for refugees and asylum seekers.

Ultimately the real problem is the massive lack of housing in the city! However housing problems when left un-addressed inevitably become much wider social problems.

The amount of housing stock has decreased in the thousands over the past decade, whilst the waiting list has risen by tens of thousands. Pay and staff levels have not reduced at Sheffield Homes along with the housing stock, with one person there earning £175k+.

My avatar pays homage to the utter shambles that the organization Sheffield Homes is, and well it all goes tits up, £1 will be paid and the debt passed onto Sheffield City Council and added to its current debt of £2Billion.

However, have no fear, all is well and if you keep bidding you will get somewhere eventually (which with 11 years waiting you might, but the next generation should seriously consider investing in tents).

Remember to answer the current letters coming out asking if you wish to be rehoused still, as if you do not you will be kicked off the waiting list.

3/4 of properties are let to hose with priority (with people needing priority housing even having to wait and creating a 'priority waiting list'). The remaining are let to people based upon waiting time and over half of them are put aside for the over 40s and over 60s. Sheffield homes is a champion of equality and will discriminate against people for a whole host of things, pretty much anything you can think of.

One questions the amount of money spent on processing the massive amount of bids for housing which will not materialise and whether the money would be spent more effectively building cheap low quality housing for the masses, or even if running a lottery would be fairer.

They also gave away parkhill to private developers, whom have been subsidised by government. Effectively in an instant wasting money on giving away 1000 homes!

However all is not lost, 'affordable' housing can be purchased in the city, if you earn over twice the average wage in Sheffield, you can afford an average priced house.

All in all, Sheffield has plenty of housing, much more than meets the demand. Housing in the city is ridiculously cheap, and Sheffield's pro-active housing strategy will make Sheffield a successful city of the future. :rolleyes:

You could say, "Sheffield - A city on the move" Not moving anywhere fast, unless your trying to get away.

Our city is a complete joke. But remember the Lib dems (whom are in charge) are champions of housing, told Cleggy was on about making affordable housing available to ALL in the live TV debates, (their manifesto said they'll spend a year looking at what they could do :( )

i was told the other day when i rung the housing that i will not get any property in a million years cos the priority list is endless

Sadly true, doesnt matter how long you been on for as people can get put ahead of you for a variety of reason's, which i think is unfair, i just want to live in the area i was brought up in with my daughter, i dont ask for much except a two bed property, flat/ bungalow/house i dont care, as long as she can have her own bedroom.

If you work then its harder then, as i was kinda led to think that they assume you can then afford private renting, with oveinflated property prices, buying is out of the question too, roll on the Conservative capital gains tax increase to 40% on second home's will free up houses, and bring prices back down to a normal level for people to be able to buy.

Sadly true, doesnt matter how long you been on for as people can get put ahead of you for a variety of reason's, which i think is unfair, i just want to live in the area i was brought up in with my daughter, i dont ask for much except a two bed property, flat/ bungalow/house i dont care, as long as she can have her own bedroom.

If you work then its harder then, as i was kinda led to think that they assume you can then afford private renting, with oveinflated property prices, buying is out of the question too, roll on the Conservative capital gains tax increase to 40% on second home's will free up houses, and bring prices back down to a normal level for people to be able to buy.

Note this, housing benefit can be paid to private tenants, hence the inflated price of property in accordance with the minimum amount of Housing Benefit.

1/3 of Housing benefit goes to people renting off of private landlords, that is across the UK a sum of £4.5 Billion+ per year.

Note this, housing benefit can be paid to private tenants, hence the inflated price of property in accordance with the minimum amount of Housing Benefit.

1/3 of Housing benefit goes to people renting off of private landlords, that is across the UK a sum of £4.5 Billion+ per year.

I know it can but it wont help me out with getting a house. :(

the priority all though substansual does not effect the bidder who has built of waiting time as 1 in every 4 homes is listed for waiting time bidders only, i do think there should be some sort of incentive for people to give up non needed homes though ie those in large homes whose children have flown the nest or those with no children , i dont blieve there should be forced to give up there property but they should be tempted to perhaps a monetry bribe would do the trick to get people to down-size or put them in the position to put a deposit down on a property, these schemes have helped out big time with a couple of southern councils!

the priority all though substansual does not effect the bidder who has built of waiting time as 1 in every 4 homes is listed for waiting time bidders only, i do think there should be some sort of incentive for people to give up non needed homes though ie those in large homes whose children have flown the nest or those with no children , i dont blieve there should be forced to give up there property but they should be tempted to perhaps a monetry bribe would do the trick to get people to down-size or put them in the position to put a deposit down on a property, these schemes have helped out big time with a couple of southern councils!

One in four homes may goto priority, but if the one is house for priority i wont be able to bid on it, so then im back to square one and have to wait anyother 9 years to get even offered anything.

its unfair how it works as anyone can jump the list and take a property you waited 9 years to be entitled to.

its unfair how it works as anyone can jump the list and take a property you waited 9 years to be entitled to.

but the fact that you do not have priority obviously means you do have a roof over your head, so surely someone who does not will infact be more in need of a home!