We're thinking of getting a charity shop for Rain Rescue

There used to be the cats charity shop up at Middlewood until they closed down a few years ago. You could ask them if they made any money there or not. I seem to remember they packed up because the woman couldn't do it any longer.

What I would say is, if you're going to have a shop, then pile it high and sell it cheap. Too many charity shops go down the Oxfam route of having goods which only look good as new, and are as expensive as new. Look at the books in almost any charity shop these days and it's just row upon row of new looking chick lit at about 2 quid a book. And as a result they have a stock turnover of about zero, and end up pulping tons of stuff. Keep it cheap, sell lots of tatty old books to people like me, and people will keep coming back.

on paper it looks like a really good location however it will cost around that area...other bonus's include lots of people waiting around for take out food, could have a couple of evening opening times. local Army and RAF Cadets..always looking to help charitable causes plus some older teens (16-18) who you may be able to recruit to help out on more of a reqular basis. lots of locals have lost their pet food supplies due to pet shop closing, so you cold hook up with some suppliers who will give you a good deal so you can make a profit. local businesses round here very good so they may spons you to pay the rates in exchange for advertising.,,HOWEVER as mentioned before there have been other charity shops that have not worked around here so it would be interesting to find out why!

Thanks everyone - all good ideas and good comments and offers. (Thanks Jacob's mum too, if only all had homes like yours i would be really pleased). But we need more money to keep the dogs going that we have in boarding now.

I appreciate your views metalman and totally agree with you. Jumble shops have almost dissapeared now apart from off the high street. I know the large charity shops make lots of money out of selling all the new gear - and I know they have a lot of problem with people just off loading what is un-sellable - because it costs to get rid of items - but they've lost the character haven't they.

Thanks anyway - and I'll let you know how we progress

i know id be no good in the shop as i suffer with fits &

then forget what ive just done

but i can pass this on to you i don't know if you've heard of

http://www.freecycle.org/

you open a yahoo account & join up

with these guys & they have loads of people just giving stuff away

you just have to collect it or you never know they may drop stuff off for you

if they know its a charity its worth a go

http://sheffield.gumtree.com/

also have a freebies section as well

Edited by fabcakes

I was going to suggest a Rotherham location but as all your volunteers are from Sheffield its a bit pointless. You could try a market stall. In my local market the sally army has a stall and there are plenty of others spare, but its not a busy market.

Im sure if there are vacant shops with no takers that councils sometimes offer them either rent free or low rent to charities though.

even private landlords may accept a rent free arrangement for a period in the current climate, as they have to pay rates/council tax on the empty unit