Proposals for a new Tesco in Halfway

hi everyone

i received a letter this morning to tell me they are proposing a new tesco off oxclose park road in halfway. I think it's great that new jobs are going to be brought to the area but this new supermarket is going to be a stones throw from the existing morrisons???

Does anyone have any more info?

did your letter state any dates for work to start???:

I don't think they should build the new tesco- no need!

did your letter state any dates for work to start???:

:hihi: :hihi: Or have I misunderstood and it wasn't sarcasm? If it was then :hihi:

I don't think they should build the new tesco- no need!

Maybe not for you . But for a lot of unemployed people there is .

Thats just one of the reasons i am all for new developments and the creation of jobs, Sheffield council made so many pointless jobs, i wouldnt be suprised if they made a Chief Inspector of internal stationary position.

Which are now all getting scrapped as they shouldnt have been in that role to start with, the extra jobs here could accomadate some of the loose's we are going to be experiencing!

Anyone with a small amount of common sense and respect for people nearby will know this is a stupid idea. As a local citizen i can say from my experience the traffic is already crazy. Building another supermarket in halfway, never mind this close to morrisons would be a tremendously stupid idea.

Why cant they just build 200~ houses instead and have done with the land.

Thats just one of the reasons i am all for new developments and the creation of jobs, Sheffield council made so many pointless jobs, i wouldnt be suprised if they made a Chief Inspector of internal stationary position.

Which are now all getting scrapped as they shouldnt have been in that role to start with, the extra jobs here could accomadate some of the loose's we are going to be experiencing!

There will not be extra jobs, jobs at any new developmnt will be offset by loss of jobs in neighbouring business, the only real jobs created will be short term construction jobs, while the store is built

There will not be extra jobs, jobs at any new developmnt will be offset by loss of jobs in neighbouring business, the only real jobs created will be short term construction jobs, while the store is built

How do you know this?

Im guess you are assuming on opening the new store, morrisons will issue P45's to staff, Sainsburys will do the same and so on, so the extra 450 jobs that were rumoured will be filled by the 450 people sacked by the other stores? :huh:

it wont happen, its just the doom mongers of the area trying everything possible to stop it, im still awaiting the Watercrested newt picture one of my Halfway neighbours claimed he took whilst walking the dog!

Anyone with a small amount of common sense and respect for people nearby will know this is a stupid idea. As a local citizen i can say from my experience the traffic is already crazy. Building another supermarket in halfway, never mind this close to morrisons would be a tremendously stupid idea.

Ive already had this argument, i argued at the meeting not long ago when a lot of residents started saying that they dont want a tesco, it will ruin our lives etc etc, its the only bit of green land we have. . . next breath lets build allotments on it, houses on it, industrial units etc etc.

Halfway will always have traffic, im guessing you are meaning Rotherham Road traffic? isnt this one of the main routes from this side of the city to a neighbouring town?

It only gets clogged up at peak times anyway, christmas isnt that bad nor easter!

But this argument will alway rear its head its the same argument residents had when Oxclose farm was sold off to build Morrisons and the houses the people who now live in are moaning from.

Yet again it saddens me to repeat myself .

You people who keep mentioning traffic , ask yourselves this . If you were in a situation where you had to choose between a job created by Tesco's that would ensure you could pay your mortgage /rent , feed and clothe your children and live with a little decent respect , or have a little inconvenience with traffic which would also affect myself , what would you choose ?

You people who are against this proposal are probably in work , retired , or just plan selfish (not in my back yard attitude) or probably a mixture of all four . I am not in work , retired or selfish and my home is bang opposite of where they are wanting to build . I am thinking about "ALL" the people of Sheffield who have lost there job through no fault of there own thanks to the greedy bankers .