Proposals for a new Tesco in Halfway

People seem to be missing the point here! If the Tesco is built & is a success, Morrisons will close, so there will be just as many jobs lost as gained!!

Does anyone know whether there is any form of petition that we can sign to stop the Tesco build??

Gail Smith the local councillor is organising a meeting to discuss whether people want to oppose the development. I understand that Crystal peaks will be objecting as well and leaflets will be given out in the centre on Saturday

The details of the meeting are as follows

2nd June 7pm at the Mosborough Miners Welfare

I would urge all of you who have a view on this to attend the meeting whatever your views are the councillor is making every effort to consult with the community and there are obviously strong feelings

Gail Smith the local councillor is organising a meeting to discuss whether people want to oppose the development. I understand that Crystal peaks will be objecting as well and leaflets will be given out in the centre on Saturday

The details of the meeting are as follows

2nd June 7pm at the Mosborough Miners Welfare

I would urge all of you who have a view on this to attend the meeting whatever your views are the councillor is making every effort to consult with the community and there are obviously strong feelings

I shall be there to support Tesco in the quest for the store, i know ill probably be lynched by the sandle wearing tree huggers, but oh well two sides to it, and some residents of Halfway support this, they aint all against it!

But will be less expensive if they build a Tesco's ?? Get a grip you philistine judas....

Thank you for your input Youfo(ol)...it is very much appreciated....now go away.

Find another thread to try and get a reaction.:loopy:

How do you know there has been a demand for it?

Have you got any statistics on how many people have written to Tesco specifically demanding a new store in the Halfway area?

How many people have come up to you and said "hey, what we really need in this area is a Tesco"?

All that Tesco have done is seen an existing Morrisons in a good location and they want a piece of that pie.

There has been a demand for a tesco in this side of the city for a long time, yes you can travel to Chesterfield to goto tesco or you can travel across the city, i myself at the minute travel to Chesterfield, it isnt just the grocery shopping tesco offer alot more than your Morrison's and sainsburys do, its the other things that come with it, decent clothing, a photo shop, opticians, tesco extra etc.

Your right people havent been saying hey we need a Tesco at Halfway, but they have been saying it would be handy to have one nearby (Chesterfield isnt nearby to someone who hasnt got transport).

The land WILL be built on, mark my word so all the eco warriors will not be able to save the newts etc, if it aint a Tesco it will be something else, i would be suprised if it ended up being somesort of retails park with a wickes/ burger king etc for the Chavs to race around on if it isnt a Tesco.

Demand?...explain 'Demand'?......who is 'demanding' a tesco's?

I 'demand' it isn't built

Demand?...explain 'Demand'?......who is 'demanding' a tesco's?

people who shop there who have to travel to another Town and county to shop there, or travel to the other side of the city using 2 and 3 different buses!

You can demand what you like, if everyone had the same views, then im afraid Sheffield forum and the world would be a very sad place!

The only reasons i keep hearing from other resident of Halfway against a proposed Tesco are.

1. The wildlife that live on the land will be made homeless. (even though they were when your lovely house's were built on the land!)

2. we already have two supermarkets in the area :huh:

3. It will endanger children who were to have a park built next to a road that will have increased traffic. (building a park next to a road in the first place :loopy:)

4. It will supposedly decrease property Value.

5. It will ruin peoples views of the lovely sewage plant and waste land used by off road motorbikes.

6. Tesco are evil.

7. People can travel to chesterfield if they want to go to Tesco.

8. It will cause extra pollution.

9. We would rather have allotments on the land (they were taken down in the late 90's to build house's on.)

10. I moved here because it was quiet and now its going to be horrible.

No one is going to leave this land as in an area where land to build on is becoming rare, the value of land increase's.

they were building the park anyway, not next to a road......the road will be built after to facilitate Tesco's.

they were building the park anyway, not next to a road......the road will be built after to facilitate Tesco's.

so like i said it is next to a road :suspect:

??????????....hello?

what are we to do?.....now build the park elsewhere because the mighty tesco is arriving and putting a road at the side of the afore planned park?

Park planned(not next to a road)......park approved(not next to a road)......tesco applies to build a road at the side of the park............cancel park and build it somewhere else???????

It's not that difficult to understand:huh:

Dink missed off the huge increase in traffic in the area as being an argument against Tesco.

Did you conveniently forget this important part? Too busy mocking the people who may be concerned about the wildlife in the area, a small but relevant point in the argument against Tesco.

Also, as Novice keeps trying to point out but you keep ignoring, there is no road at present next to the planned playground.

The playground has been approved and is going to be built, Tesco have not even applied for planning permission yet.

The point is that Tesco want to build a road which will (by that time) be next to an existing childrens playground, thus making that area more dangerous for the children.

I think if Tesco moved to location of the store closer to Laver's rather than right next door to the existing estate (and soon to be) playground then it will be less offensive perhaps.