Proposals for a new Tesco in Halfway

Hi everyone

I received a letter this morning to tell me they are proposing a new Tesco off Oxclose Park Road in Halfway. I think it's great that new jobs are going to be brought to the area but this new supermarket is going to be a stones throw from the existing Morrisons???

Does anyone have any more info?

After reading all the negative reports on SF regarding the quality of the food sold by Morrisons, a new Tesco will be most welcome to the area. As a foot-note, several years ago a well known supermarket opened a new store in Ripon, North Yorks, in direct competition to the Morrisons store there, a large majority of staff left Morrisons and went to work for the other store, doe's that not tell you something ?.

Edited by brus

Yes please

Bonkers! Morrisons is right next door, is there not a new Aldi or something being built near Damons at Crystal Peaks too? Madness! Sainsburys in Peaks, Aldi next door, Morrisons and a Tesco in Halfway? Suppose Tesco will want to build a Petrol station aswell! Where are they gonna build all this stuff anyway? Greedy supermarkets...shouldn't be allowed..consumer choice or not, weve already got a choice shop at your local shops were possible. Rant over ! :)

I heard there was going to be a Tesco at Killamarsh...where the Kwik Save used to be, and they were trying to get rid of the little market there, so the carpark could be a petrol station...

Mind you the market has been getting smaller and smaller, and its only there one day a week...:)

Nowt wrong with a bit of choice and competition.. Suppose some EEJIT is going to start a petition to stop Tesco's ...

I heard rumours that a Tesco would be built on the grounds of the old Westfield school, but nothing ever came of it. Not yet, anyway.

The letter we received this morning was from Tesco and it says the proposed store will be off Oxclose Park Rd- guessing it will be next to Lavers (if you google map it there's a large piece of land to the side).

I actually get my food from Tesco so it will be handier for me personally but just can't believe how many supermarkets there will be with in such a short distance!

sounds good to me, at the moment i trek to chesterfield if i want to go to tesco! did it say if its a superstore, normal, express etc?

It says modern , spacious shopping experience with a wide range of goods- not sure if it's going to be an extra. They're creating 450 new jobs. There's a public exhibition starting 21st May so should know more then I guess!

There's a public exhibition starting 21st May

Does it say where that will be? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Yes (sorry it's the 20th as well):

Thursday 20th May 4pm- 8pm

Friday 21st May 10am-2pm

at Halfway Elderly Peoples Club, 7 James Walton Court (off Station Road) S20 3GY