What was there before Ponds Forge?

Hi I see on here a mention of the old Blue Commer lorry. Does anyone remember the Super Sentinel Steam Waggon - I heard it was used to ship a load of stainless steel chain to strengthen the Dome on St Pauls after the dome was damage by two unexploded bombs during the war. What I am really interested in is what colour was the waggon? I have it here in my shed and want to put it back to the original George Senior and Sons Old Pond Forge Sheffield - I also have a black and white photo if anyone is interested - but black and white doesn't show the colour but I am thinking dark blue? Kind regards Mark

The steam lorry that delivered the chains for St Paul's was from Brown Baileys who made them .

On Sheaf St , there used to be a Lewis Leathers bike shop ( just round the corner from t' bottom o' Commercial St )..before it moved down t' Moor... ( near Virgin Records)
What year are you talking about guzziowl because Lewis Leathers was previously N Jones on Snig Hill and they moved to the moor in a prefabricated building around 1959 then moved across the road later in the seventies.I have in my possession a N Jones catalogue from 1958 complete with price list. Aviakit was the brand mark.

In 1977 I took a position as a rent collector based in the Pond Hill Housing offices and used to park my car on the levelled ground left after Pond's Forge Steelworks was demolished. I moved to the 'egg box' just prior to demolishion of the Pond Hill buildings in, I recall, 1978.

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 12:37 ----------

Here are a couple of old pics outside Pond's Forge. I believe all the structures on the left were eventually cleared and levelled. The exit road from Park Square roundabout towards Midland Station is now on the levelled site. The section of Sheaf Street shown on the pics had become just a service road when I used to enter the gate facia to park my car on the 'spare land' in 1977.

Sorry I can't give you a direct link. Click on this http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk and type in the refs. s19379 and s03506

Regards, Peter

Edited by PeterR

when I was leaving school I went for job interview at the Y.E.B, offices which were ponds forge is. and round the back there was a small snooker room in a court yard which we used to have game after coming from leeds as that was were the training centre was

I remember (prior to 1964) riding the top deck of the no.92 bus along Sheaf St. and seeing large red hot castings being shaped under a forge hammer. Would be where todays swimming baths are.

when I was leaving school I went for job interview at the Y.E.B, offices which were ponds forge is. and round the back there was a small snooker room in a court yard which we used to have game after coming from leeds as that was were the training centre was

Hello owd man,

I left Owler Lane school in Dec. 1958. Took a written test at Y.E.B. in the Victoria Hall, in which they would have rented the room, at the corner of Norfolk Street and Chapel Walk, along with a number of other applicants. I was later invited to an interview but over the years I had forgotten where this was. I'm fairly sure now that it was the same place you had your interview. Was offered a job some time later, but turned it down as I had started at Firth Browns. Those were the days when you could get a job easier eh? :)

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I used to work in the old Joseph Rogers yard for a small engineering company called Chapel Engineering.I remember Eddie Hardy as the caretaker. Has anyone else have any memories of 18 River Lane ?

I used to work in the old Joseph Rogers yard for a small engineering company called Chapel Engineering.I remember Eddie Hardy as the caretaker. Has anyone else have any memories of 18 River Lane ?

Hi jack reacher,

As I mentioned on a previous post, I was a council officer in the late '70s and used to park my car on the Ponds Forge cleared site opposite the Housing Offices on Pond Hill. There was a man who appeared occasionally and seemed to be in charge of the land. I was told he was the caretaker and assumed he had duties other than looking after that piece of derelict land. He seemed always to wear a cap and wellington boots. Could this be the same man as the name Eddie sounds familiar?

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Beezerboy : thanks for the reply. The steam waggon was a Sentinel WE3236 and delivery new to George Senior and Sons in 1928 - latterly it was sold to Brown Baley with the number BB No2 - query is does anyone remember George Senior and sons lorry colours - Brown Baley's Lorry colours were green?

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 15:18 ----------

Typo should read Brown Bailey..

on one side of the road was the queens head pub, behind that was the council rent offices, where on Saturday mornings people would queue down the road waiting to get in and pay the rent. across the road was joseph Rodgers cutlery works, then there was the old market hall where the lady was just in the entrance with an old set of brass weighing scales which cost an hapenny I think I wonder were they are now can't have been scrapped surely, must be in a museum now.. walking the other way towards pond st bus station behind the old post office building were the telegram boys used to wait with their red motor cycles waiting for the next job. across the road there were a row of wholesale butchers, were the carcasses of cattle, pigs and sheep would be taken in to be butchered I always remember the the rows of vans with the animals in the back. the smell was horrid I once had to work at the old abbatoir on cricket inn road were the butchers hide skin and bone firm was located and the smell was gut wrenching there were biyts of animal laid all over the the place, sheep heads calf legs and guts never again would I go there

I well remember Pete in the Queens Head. The pub was scruffy but it was the first call when we got back from the Wednesday away games from 1975 (when I was 18 ) onwards. The John Smiths Magnet was drinkable and they had Tankard which I havent seen for years that wasn't that bad.

He always asked me how old I was and however many times I told him he would never remember, could be that he liked a drop himself and he forgot. The old SUT offices were a large dome type shape and when we went to book football tickets we had to see a rather large lady who certainly kept us in our place. Good times

Hi bullerboY, did you ever visit the N Jones shop on Snig Hill? I wondered if the whole shop was given to selling motorcycle clothing? -as some time before it was a men's tailors and outfitters.