Which foods are truly "Sheffield"?

You're right, you've just proved your own theory, its bred not bread.

i dont claim to be the most intelligent but its not difficult to be above the level of intelligence of 80% of the city....and your a blade say no more.

Thorntons chocolates started in Sheffield, I seem to remember the shop was near Heeley - top of Broadfield Road, but as the paper says today, a fifth of our memories are make believe. It definitely started in Sheffield though. Hope I have got all my spellings correct, Blade 73

2 steps on Sharrowvale Road.

ah yes i know that place thats a good one.

Thorntons chocolates started in Sheffield, I seem to remember the shop was near Heeley - top of Broadfield Road, but as the paper says today, a fifth of our memories are make believe. It definitely started in Sheffield though. Hope I have got all my spellings correct, Blade 73

Ha just running the Spell checker through it now!

Just made me think how many different ice cream companies were there? I remember Oldfields off Belhouse Road, did Granellis make their own

Isn't it Bellhouse Road - go to the bottom of the class Blade73!!

ha ha smart arses are always out smarted by another smart arse

Ha I should know really shouldn't I, I grew up round there and walked up it everyday to school.

Think we are going off topic here - perhaps a new a thread about the deterioration of the English language.

True, was choc-lick a sheffield thing? It was like chocolate dust sold from jars in corner shops.

Taken from Wikipedia ...

Fishcakes have also traditionally been made from salted fish (most commonly cod, haddock or pollock). Fishcakes are also prepared without breadcrumbs or batter, and are made with a mixture of cooked fish, potatoes and occasionally eggs formed into patties and then fried.

In Yorkshire, England the traditional fishcake served in a Fish and Chip shop will consist of two slices of potato (sometimes parboiled), with offcuts of fish in between, deep fried in batter. Like most ideas from Yorkshire, it's crap.

Are Oatcakes (the big soft Chatsworth ones) vaguely Sheffield-ish? Nobody else I know from anywhere else ever seems to know what I mean when I describe them.

Those type of oatcakes are staffordshire - very good with bacon and cheese - mmmmmmmmmmmm