Which foods are truly "Sheffield"?

Breadcakes. I know they exist outside Sheff, but they are called weird things like rolls, buns, baps, cobs etc etc. Ask for a breadcake elsewhere they look at you gone out

No it was definitely a proper fishcake. Having lived in a proper fishcake free area for umpteen years I know exactly what I was looking for. Please please tell me where I will be able to find a decent proper fishcake in Sheffield the next time I visit the city. :)

mills chip oyl (pronounced oil) coal pit lane stocksbridge best for miles .

Breadcakes. I know they exist outside Sheff, but they are called weird things like rolls, buns, baps, cobs etc etc. Ask for a breadcake elsewhere they look at you gone out

In the stocksbridge area what we would call a bread cake in sheffield is a tea cake and what we call a tea cake is a current tea cake -confused ex sheffielder.The correct term for the fish cake made of slices of fish and potato seems to be the yorkshire fish cake as advertised in a chippy in cleethorpes .

In the stocksbridge area what we would call a bread cake in sheffield is a tea cake and what we call a tea cake is a current tea cake -confused ex sheffielder.The correct term for the fish cake made of slices of fish and potato seems to be the yorkshire fish cake as advertised in a chippy in cleethorpes .

Aaah but in Skegness they are referred to as Sheffield Fish Cakes

sutherlands potted beef and also theres another potted beef but just cant think of the name even tho i buy both regular and there both made in sheffield.

Is my mind playing tricks but was there a firm called hartleys ecclesall road area ??

Also

Long Gone but Burdalls Gravy Salt and also what about frederichs the legendreary butchers (food to die for ))

is dripping cakes a sheffield food??? mmmmmmmmm

Used to love a bowl of ash with Hendo's relish as a kid or a fry up with brown sauce on it..

Edited by grinder

Love those Oatcakes they sell in Chatsworth farm shop and they are Derbyshire oatcakes. But my Dad, who was brought up near St Mary's Rd in a place called Sheaf Gardens - now just part of a business park in the city centre - used to go to a shop there run by two sisters where they made oatcakes big enough that you just used to buy a couple of slices for the family and take them home, made with herbs apparently. He used to say the next best thing was the Chatsworth ones. In the late '70s / early '80s the chips and tomato sauce served in the old 'bar one' of Sheffield Uni Union on Western Bank were pretty damn unique ( we weren't students, we just used to hang around on the bridge as underage teens and say 'Will you sign me in please' to every passing student).

No; when you go anywhere else, they give you a fishcake, which for bizarre reasons I've never been able to discover, Sheffielders call a rissole.

For equally bizarre reasons, which I've also never been able to discover, a rissole is called a fishcake by Sheffielders. This has led to much confusion in both directions, notably when non-Sheffielders come to Sheffield, ask for a fishcake, get a rissole and complain vociferously.

The bizarre reason is that you're wrong. A rissole contains mashed potato & fish (or meat), not sliced. Google it.

The bizarre reason is that you're wrong. A rissole contains mashed potato & fish (or meat), not sliced. Google it.

I don't buy rissoles from a search engine; I buy them from a chippy.

Batchelors peas ... founded in 1895.

The mushy pea was allegedly invented there.

Meat and Tater pie ( shortcrust pastry def. not flaky) mushy peas and , it goes without saying, Hendos and gravy.