Sign in to follow this  

Mosborough police station attacked (updated)

with fireworks according to Sheffield Star at mosborough. Perhaps they'll get their finger out now.

I blame the tv coverage of the war in Iraq - it was like glorification and all they are doing is replaying key events

Originally posted by Internetowl

with fireworks according to Sheffield Star at mosborough. Perhaps they'll get their finger out now.

I blame the tv coverage of the war in Iraq - it was like glorification and all they are doing is replaying key events

A bit stupid to blame TV coverage of the war - fireworks have been used as weapons for years. I blame yobs and a society thats gradually spiralling out of control in certain elements.

sorry to be a bugger - but is it gonna happen again? I love fireworks and a freebie show is always good in my opinion.

kids with fireworks are like red wine with white carpets - neither are a great idea. But as a 'grumpy old man' - i suggest we let them buy the firework which they intend for vandal use - tie it to their arm and pretend to light it. That should knock some sense into the little critters - as well as supply me with momentary comedy.

So it appears that the Chinese not only charge extortionate prices for their food but their fireworks too. Thats why if you know of any random acts of mindless firework vandalism like this one, let me know and i'll be down as soon as possible!! Thanks

Originally posted by t020

A bit stupid to blame TV coverage of the war - fireworks have been used as weapons for years. I blame yobs and a society thats gradually spiralling out of control in certain elements.

I blame Guy Fawkes - without whom none of this would happen every year...

But he never succeeded in lighting any gunpowder so what is the point?

I blame the media of the day. If they hadn't chosen to publically hang, draw and quarter Guy Fawkes it might not have made such a lasting impression.

if we didn't have celebrations like bonfirenight/hallowe'en/xmas then how would we break up our mundane lives?

maybe we need these 'release' days. although they seem to last more than a day - i pulled my first christmas cracker yesterday - not through choice, it was a cross-departmental 'team building' exercise at work!

I've just been sent the following release by a SY police press officer:

Police in the South of Sheffield are appealing for witnesses after Mosborough section station was damaged by what appears to be a firework over the weekend. The damage was reported on Saturday morning by a passing member of the public and police would like to hear from anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Rotherham Road area of Halfway, close to the station, overnight.

Enquiries are ongoing in to the incident in which two doors and the ceiling were badly damaged. The damage amounts to thousands of pounds and The Mosborough community team have been unable to work from the station today( Monday 20 Oct).

Community Inspector Dick Dove said : The community team are very upset and disappointed by the incident. They have been going about their duties from Mossway police station, but will return as soon as possible, hopefully tomorrow, so that they can maintain close contact with the community that they serve. Quite apart from causing thousands of pounds worth of damage, this incident like any misuse of fireworks has the potential to seriously injure both the passers by and the perpetrators. If anyone has any information at all, I’d urge them to contact Mossway CID on 0114 220 2020.

Last week, South Yorkshire Police launched Operation Mischief a multi agency operation to curb anti-social behaviour in South Yorkshire. They also launched a special hotline number 0114 296 3318 for members of the public to pass on information about the illegal sale and storage of fireworks.

Perhaps if they actually staffed these stations full time they might have more of a chance of catching whoever did it? I know people who have been down and found it all locked up. They had to ring the door buzzer and someone actually came in a police car!

Originally posted by alchresearch

Perhaps if they actually staffed these stations full time they might have more of a chance of catching whoever did it? I know people who have been down and found it all locked up. They had to ring the door buzzer and someone actually came in a police car!

No, no. They need to be on the beat so when people report crimes the brave bobby can jump on the next trolley bus and be there to apprehend the criminal.

Originally posted by alchresearch

someone actually came in a police car!

I don't believe that for a minute.

If you read the story then you will notice that it was a member of the public that noticed the damage - not a policeman! :loopy: