Coalition Deal details

Another good idea in my eyes

increasing tax on second homes and buy to let. I was hoping someone would do that!

You are not thinking this out clearly. The proposal is to increase none business Capital Gains Tax to the rate that the individual pays tax, and to reduce the annual exemption from £10,100 to circa £2,500. Many people have planned their savings and retirement around using the annual exemption. A lot of buy to let property was purchased to avoid Gordon Brown's annual £5billion tax raid on none public sector pensions, and to provide replacement income in retirement.

All the big buy to let portfolios will no doubt be run as businesses, so do not fall into this proposal. Why someones hard earned taxed money that they put into a holiday home could be taxed at 40% if they sell it beggars belief.

Edited by crookesey

You are not thinking this out clearly.

in the absence of any points I will stick with my original thoughts.

in the absence of any points I will stick with my original thoughts.

What absence? :huh:

What absence? :huh:

You had not written anything other than what was quoted by me above when I commented-nice editing.

I disagree with second homes because they decimate communities in holiday areas and take a home away from the market pushing the prices up. People don't need two homes. We are having to build all over the countryside so that people can buy homes. I dont care about people trying to keep money from the taxman, and the pensions argument could have been avoided if labour hadn't ruined the pension funds but its too late for that now. I stand by my original thoughts.

Tory concessions

Some observers have expressed surprise at the concessions the junior coalition partner appears to have extracted from the Conservatives. Among other things, the Conservatives agreed to hold a referendum on the Liberal’s much cherished dream of reforming Britain’s electoral system. The Liberals believe a shift to proportional representation system from the UK's current winner-takes-all electoral districts will give them a stronger voice in government. In the general election, the party won 23 percent of the national vote, but just under 9 percent of the seats in parliament.

Other concessions reportedly include plans to transform parliament’s House of Lords into a second chamber elected nationally using the proportional representation system of voting, as well as measures to increase the income tax threshold to £10,000.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2010/0512/Can-David-Cameron-keep-new-UK-coalition-government-together

Tory concessions

Some observers have expressed surprise at the concessions the junior coalition partner appears to have extracted from the Conservatives. Among other things, the Conservatives agreed to hold a referendum on the Liberal’s much cherished dream of reforming Britain’s electoral system. The Liberals believe a shift to proportional representation system from the UK's current winner-takes-all electoral districts will give them a stronger voice in government. In the general election, the party won 23 percent of the national vote, but just under 9 percent of the seats in parliament.

Other concessions reportedly include plans to transform parliament’s House of Lords into a second chamber elected nationally using the proportional representation system of voting, as well as measures to increase the income tax threshold to £10,000.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2010/0512/Can-David-Cameron-keep-new-UK-coalition-government-together

So, every one does not pay on the first 10grand ,even if your a millionaire . Why not no tax on the first 20grand for all those earning under 20grand ? All those over 40grand pay tax on every pound.

Fairer society my backside!!!!!

Tory concessions

Some observers have expressed surprise at the concessions the junior coalition partner appears to have extracted from the Conservatives. Among other things, the Conservatives agreed to hold a referendum on the Liberal’s much cherished dream of reforming Britain’s electoral system. [/Quote]

Yet they only offered a referendum on the Alternative Vote.

The Liberals believe a shift to proportional representation system from the UK's current winner-takes-all electoral districts will give them a stronger voice in government. In the general election, the party won 23 percent of the national vote, but just under 9 percent of the seats in parliament.

Apart from the referendum has nothing to do with proportional representation.

Other concessions reportedly include plans to transform parliament’s House of Lords into a second chamber elected nationally using the proportional representation system of voting,

By plans you mean set up a committee to have a look at the prospect of such a thing...

as well as measures to increase the income tax threshold to £10,000.

Well thats one I guess.

You use the Christian Science Monitor as your source, odd.

Bloody Tories, always looking after their rich friends, eh Wednesday1/Titanic99.

Not paying tax on first 10grand is for everyone , millionaires included.

Yet they only offered a referendum on the Alternative Vote.

Apart from the referendum has nothing to do with proportional representation.

By plans you mean set up a committee to have a look at the prospect of such a thing...

Well thats one I guess.

You use the Christian Science Monitor as your source, odd.

What for, the Christians were crushed in this election along with BNP.

The nation doesn't want them or care about them.

Your fantasising is over matey. HAIL THE PRAGMATISTS!!!!

What for, the Christians were crushed in this election along with BNP.

The nation doesn't want them or care about them.

Your fantasising is over matey. HAIL THE PRAGMATISTS!!!!

2/3 of what you posted was wrong.

Oh and can I ask, what was I "fantasising over"?

You had not written anything other than what was quoted by me above when I commented-nice editing.

I disagree with second homes because they decimate communities in holiday areas and take a home away from the market pushing the prices up. People don't need two homes. We are having to build all over the countryside so that people can buy homes. I dont care about people trying to keep money from the taxman, and the pensions argument could have been avoided if labour hadn't ruined the pension funds but its too late for that now. I stand by my original thoughts.

Everyone to their own, I trust that you have never entertained renting a holiday home, thus making you complicit in a practice that you disagree with. And of course, you would never sell your home to an investor, irrespective of the offer amount, would you?

I retire from my full time job tomorrow, I took a package of statutory notice, statutory redundency and unpaid holiday pay. With this and a part time consultancy position, I should be able to leave my decimated private pension to hopefully recover lost ground, and access it along with my state pension in two years time. We bought a flat (that our son currently lives in) a few years ago, in order to give us the option of accessing the equity in our home, if push comes to shove, anything wrong with that?

Everyone to their own, I trust that you have never entertained renting a holiday home, thus making you complicit in a practice that you disagree with. And of course, you would never sell your home to an investor, irrespective of the offer amount, would you?

I retire from my full time job tomorrow, I took a package of statutory notice, statutory redundency and unpaid holiday pay. With this and a part time consultancy position, I should be able to leave my decimated private pension to hopefully recover lost ground, and access it along with my state pension in two years time. We bought a flat (that our son currently lives in) a few years ago, in order to give us the option of accessing the equity in our home, if push comes to shove, anything wrong with that?

As it is only a change in the tax you can buy as many houses as you wish but you will be charged more for it-no problem

no I don't rent holiday homes but they are not the same as second homes.