Advice on snappy dog when being groomed.

Rebel and Meg have an appointment to be grromed in my home later this month,(i bathe them the night before). This will be Megs first time been groomed whilst ive been her owner im told by her previous owner that she's fine with it.

My problem is that Rebel has been groom since i got him as puppy and is absolutely fine with been groomed on the body, nails trimmed, anal glands cleared etc the problem is when the groomer gets to his face he seems to hate the shaver and scissors and snaps nastilly to the point where i tell the groomer to leave him as he is as im scared he will bite her.

The groomer has tried getting him used to the noise of the clippers and scissors but he still does it, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this with their dogs and if they manage to stop it and how? His face is desperately needing to be groomed as it's never been done fully before and ive told the groomer to leave him and has sometimes had one side of his face with long fur and the other long and short lol. I just want him to not be snappy to the point im scared he is going to bite the groomer who is absolutely lovely and tries everything to calm him.

Sorry it's a long one just really want to get him used to it even though he's been groomed since he was young. :help:

My dog Daisy used to be the same, she used to let her cut the body fine but when it came to the face she used to snap and growl. I just firmly told Daisy 'no' every time she growled at her. She is alot better with her now and she is getting better everytime she comes.

Maybe you could help at home by getting some grooming scissors and just taking a little bit off so he gets used to having the scissors near his face? Maybe he will trust you more and then learn to trust the groomer.

I just think some dogs generally don't like their face doing.

Thanks for the quick reply Greavsy, I have tried doing abit round his face myself and he's fine until he realises what im doing then he starts snapping and i have to stop or he'd end up with the scissors in his eyes or something, i've also tried firmly telling him no and i just dont think he likes the word lol abit like a child.

I'm thinking about doing some 1-2-1 training with him hopefully with lottie just finding the funds at the minute thats the problem. I'm not sure if theres anything along the lines of a muzzle (obviously not a muzzel though) or something along those lines so i can make sure both Rebel and the groomer are both safe.

You can get battery operated mini clippers - that don't make as much noise or vibrate as much. They may be better for you to do the facial hair yourself.

Alternatively you could sonehow "clamp" his mouth closed, something like a halti may just keep his nashers under control for 5 minutes.

Edited by willman
usual crap spelling

1-2-1 sessions may do him some good.

Keep trying with him though, praise him when he sits still and you put the scissors near him. Give him a treat if he lets you do it for a minute or so.

Umm maybe like a velcro strip? So the groomer can still get to his face to groom him but you know he won't bite her. Then maybe he will realise he can be groomed without anything around his mouth.

yes a velcro strop or something along them lines i mist say he is never normally agressive at all only when his face his been groomed. Any idea on the Halti-how much and where from? I've never needed one wouldnt have a clue.

Daisy is the same, she hates her face being done but she is getting better.

I have never used a halti either but I am sure you could just get away with just a simple velcro strap.

Something like this........ http://www.modelspain.com/fotosrwracing/Velcro_Straps.jpg

Some Halti's here.

http://shop.pawsitive.co.uk/halti-headcollar-119-p.asp

Can you buy velcro strips like that? I'm pretty sure if you can it would be alot cheaper than buying a halti just to use until he realises.

Yep you can :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16mm-Cable-Tie-Velcro-Strap-strapping-free-shipping-/370376247427?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingTools_Accessories_SM&hash=item563c250883

There are different sizes in mm's but it depends on what breed of dog you have got to how wide you want it.

That is 16mm and it is only £1.75 for 1m.

25mm is £2.99

I think it should do the trick :)

Edited by Greavsy

If i'm honest which i normally am -you could just use his collar adjusted to a the length to clamp his mouth. or wrap his lead round as though you were wrestling a crocodile.

I've seen some groomers doing all sorts of things that look a little brutal and unkind, but aren't really, to get the dog to remain still.

He's only a yorkshire terrier so not massive just a chunky one. Hmmm thanks willman i never even thought of that. I have seen some groomers mainly in salons where they use a noose to keep the animal in the partition where they're been groomed and dont like that, I'm hoping its only going to be for a little while.

The 16mm cable tie should work for you then. It's only little so she can still groom around his mouth.

If his collar is slippy is may slip off but it depends what type of collar he has got.

Ahh the noose is the worse thing I have seen.

When I was working at a grooming salon they had a medium sized dog on a noose around his kneck in the bath which was about 4ft off the ground. He had the lead attached to the wall. They turned their back on the dog and he tried to jump out.......he was hanging on the other side of the bath. It was horrible, luckily he didn't hurt himself as I got to him quick enough.