Does anybody know the best anti virus scanner to use

Been having a few problems lately...anybody have any advice re virus scanners

Use the free one from microsoft essencials.

Use the free one from microsoft essencials.

Yup - Forefront, they've got it right for once. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

AVG (which no doubt someone will suggest soon) has had its day, massive footprint and a process hogger these days. Avast isn't bad, but yes, go for this one.

kaspersky cost £40 may not be free but to me its a lot safer than downloading a free one tried that b4 slowed laptop down and it really didnt give me piece of mind once i installed kaspersky 2 virus were disinfected and about a box full of trojouns!

I use AVG and I must admit, it does seem to be getting more like the Norton virus checker that I ditched as it slowed my machine down so much.

Is this windows one compatable with Windows XP (on one machine) and Vista (on another) and is it easy to install?

G

Yes compatible big_g :-)

Emma - waste of money tbh. If your "free" one didn't detect it then that's no good, but that certainly doesn't mean all "free" ones are no good - far from it. Some you pay money for and they're still shocking.

look for eset nod 32 had it for yrs never had a problem with it.

used avast free for a few years now, never had a virus problem while using it

The best thing to put on your pc is definitly avast.

The reason being your able to do a boot time scan so as to get any viruses before they are loaded into memory as windows is not running. avast is free or you could buy it but if you don't want avast then get an AV with the boot time scan option as it saves some right hassle.

good luck ;)

I've had problems with Norton & AVG so thanks for the recommendations :)

Been having a few problems lately...anybody have any advice re virus scanners

My Kaspersky ran out and have started to use comodo internet security for free, no problems so far.

i use symantec on all my computers and have only had one problem ,i fell for the attachment from dhl virus when it first came out.My own fault i know but i had just sent a parcel by dhl so it seemed genuine.