Should I get a motorcycle - are they too dangerous?

I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle but when I say this to anyone I am told about how dangerous motorcycles are and that they know somebody has been killed riding one.

I understand that you are not as protected in a motorcycle as you are a car, but the impression I'm getting is that if you ride a motorcycle for long enough you are going to get into an accident!

Would you say this is a fair assessment? Are there any motorcycle riders out there who have ridden for many years and NOT been involved in an accident?

There are many motorcycle riders who are never involved in accidents; it's not a certainty that you will sooner or later get hit by a car.

That said, a motorcycle is more likely to be hit by another vehicle than a car is, simply because not all drivers look out carefully enough for them. Also, of course, if someone hits you on a motorcycle you are far more likely to be seriously injured. However, I would not say that motorbike riding is inherently dangerous enough to put me off doing it, and I wouldn't let it put you off either. You just need to be a little more careful of other road users, since they may not be sufficiently careful of you.

People will say its dangerous, i had one for a year for commuting and absolutely loved it, start of with something small and get the feel for it and see if you like it, now whenever a bike is passing I always pull in a bit to help them out, suppose once a biker always a biker.

If you do buy a bike, buy good gear even if it means buying S/hand But not a S/h helmit.

And Good training, plus do the bikesafe course run by the sheffield police,

Its very good and its fun. A biker of 40+ years.

Also are you on about a proper motorbike or a little scooter? Scooters are good for pottering about on but not great for getting out of tricky situations! The wheels are small and the brakes are not great. You can get out of danger more easily on a bike but you can also get into more danger on a bike!

Hi mate, i've been riding for 37 years and covered over 400,000 miles in that period ...I've worked as a a courier in London , Leeds & Sheffield and have been knocked off 3 times.

I prosecuted the car drivers on each occasion , and still cover around 160 miles from Mon-Fri....Some folks say that bikes are death traps , and after being knocked off once, they get rid and move on to a car .( if you had a chip pan fire in your kitchen ,would you stay out of there for the rest of your life ?)...I've never had a car licence (and still have a clean m/c licence) I own 2 moto guzzi 1100cc bikes , and intend to keep riding as long as possible ..Muxeys post says it all , proper training , new helmet etc...by the way , i dunno what kind of m/c you are after , but i wouldn't go for a scooter , they aren't built to last ..you can buy a 'Brand new ' Honda 125 storm for around £1700...and they look the part too , good luck !!..:thumbsup:

Edited by GUZZIOWL

It depends on how you approach it - dont get straight onto a 500cc, buy a 125, make sure you know how to ride it, get the proper training and the proper gear and concentrate on every ride like your life depends on it (it does!).

Life is inherently dangerous, its risk management thats the important thing.

I've been biking since the late 1950s. I was side swiped by a driver in a car and knocked unconscious in 1958 on the last leg of a journey from Sheffield to Sussex. I was not concussed but had I not been wearing a helmet I would have either been killed or suffered permanent head trauma.

One of the golden rules therefore is always wear a helmet and a good quality one. It could save your life

Since the late 1970s I've lived in California and biked around quite a few states including Arizona, Oregon, Colorado and Nevada. I dont know what biking in present day Britain is like or how friendly the motorways and drivers are towards bikers but I've found that overall biking in my part of the US is pretty safe. Once out of the crowded metropolis the interstate highways are straight and open and speed restrictions are 75 MPH maximum. Drivers in general including those of the big tractor trailer trucks are pretty considerate of bikers and I've only had one spill which was my fault in trying to corner a big Harley in the same manner as a Kawasaki sports which doesn't work believe me.

Defensive driving is always a must. Watching and doing your best to try and anticipate what others might do and on a motorcycle you need to have your attention focused more than ever.

Know your machine and master it thoroughly. Dont try to be an Evel Keneival.

The old saying "There are old bikers and bold bikers but no old and bold bikers" should always be in your thoughts.

I dont ride much any more mainly to please my wife who never liked motorcycles in the first place but I'm not complaining. I've had a good run for my money and the experience was really great looking back on it all.

The differences being, a bike likes to be ridden fast, it is a real buzz. However if a bike hits a car, the driver of the car won't feel a thing, whereas the biker will fly through the air and land in a heap of broken bones, with probable spinal injuries.

Hi mate, i've been riding for 37 years and covered over 400,00 in that period ...I've worked as a a courier in London , Leeds & Sheffield and have been knocked off 3 times.

I prosecuted the car drivers on each occasion , and still cover around 160 miles from Mon-Fri....Some folks say that bikes are death traps , and after being knocked off once, they get rid and move on to a car .( if you had a chip pan fire in your kitchen ,would you stay out of there for the rest of your life ?)...I've never had a car licence (and still have a clean m/c licence) I own 2 moto guzzi 1100cc bikes , and intend to keep riding as long as possible ..Muxeys post says it all , proper training , new helmet etc...by the way , i dunno what kind of m/c you are after , but i wouldn't go for a scooter , they aren't built to last ..you can buy a 'Brand new ' Honda 125 storm for around £1700...and they look the part too , good luck !!..:thumbsup:

wot guzziowl said :thumbsup:, I'd add the following

- treat every other road user as if they are trying to kill you, they won't be but if you ride as if they are you should be OK

- it's the roads you know best that are the most dangerous, you get blasé and belt around a blind corner or you don't bother with a lifesaver because you know there's nothing there from experience, until one day there is

@guzziowl - you have two bikes ? who is your insurance with and is it a single multibike policy or is each one covered separately ?

Edited by esme

I started biking in the mid 50s and there weren't that many cars around at that time. What the majority of car users had generally graduated from solos to combos and then to cars so the car drivers were very aware of other bikers. These days people go sraight to cars and the motorcyclist tends to be an annoyance to a lot of car users because bikers tend to ride through stationary vehicles at traffic lights and for some reason known only to themselves they get annoyed. So bikers ned to be aware at all times.

Tbh I Think Motobikes Are As Safe As The Rider Is,