The Albert Public House

Did anyone use to drink in The Albert on Cambridge Street? I used to work at Cole Brothers in the early 70's and spent many a lunch hour in there. I seem to remember it having a fantastic juke box.

I only went in once or twice in the late seventies evenings. Wasn't it a bit of a 'rock pub'?

My Dad was a regular in there (he even had his own glass behind the bar! hehe) He said the landlord was called Albert! I think he went in there around the early-mid 60's

The loudest Jukebox in the universe!

I think it was named after the Albert Palace which stood where Cole's is

We always went in before a concert at City Hall.

Went in one Saturday night many moons ago. Tony Kaye was in there - with lady friend. I think he'd played for the Owls that afternoon.

I used to frequent the Albert, yes it had a fantastic juke box, and a select crowd used to get in there.... prior to the city hall and on a normal night out in town.

I was never old enough to get in but my brother did in the 70`s. He always said it was a flea pit and named it the "Sweaty Albert"

Albert had the best juke box in town and the rustiest Durex machine in town. A great place -named after Prince Albert I suspect.If Sevenstone takes off there willbe very little left of old Cambridge Street.

Remind me anywone where exactly was the Bucaneer????? I recall going but cannot for the life of me remember where it was......

As per the link above, my first pint in the Albert was a bit illegal and prior to a Jethro Tull concert - would have been 1970/71. Many visits thereafter whenever we went to a concert, but strangely not at any other time, when we favoured Mr Ward's most excellent ale. As I remember it had an unsusally high bar top, which made appearing to be 18 even more of a challenge!