Shopping On Sunday

Anyone else notice that our City Council is joining forces (spending your money!)with town centre retailers to get us to shop on Sunday.

It's not hard to see what's behind it.

To make commercial sense the Heart of the City needs lots of

shoppers every day.Getting Coles to open on Sundays was part of it -despite most of their staff not wanting it!

I do object to my Council Tax being used to enrich the big retailers

and turning the city centre into an outdoor Meadowhall every Sunday.

in some places shops still close at lunchtime on wednesday. in others its practically a 24 hours a day venture.

one day will we live in a 24hrs, 7 days a week commerically operative society? do you lot think this would this be a good or a bad thing?

It depends where you live and your lifestyle. I usually go into Manchester city centre on a Sunday because it isn't as busy as on a saturday (most people go to the Trafford Centre on Sunday) and it's free parking.

Plus, I get to wander around 'proper' shops and buildings rather than a sterile shopping mall, and enjoy whats going off around the town (farmer's market, German market, street entertainers etc.)

Edit: added:

Plus, I also get the chance to go and see and touch a real Spitfire in the Museum of Science & Industry - worth the trip for that alone!

I think a 24/7 city is an eventual change, but i don't think that our lifestyles at the moment could cope with it.

For one thing, you'd need a lot more people working afternoon/nights and nights/early morning. But most people think of these working hours as socially difficult. If we are to ever get a round the clock lifestyle, we need everyone to be on different shifts, so enough people would be awake at one time to maybe make it less socially unacceptable.

I think it would be cool if it worked, mainyl because i seem to be awake half the night anyway, i might as well be able to shop at any time, or go see a film if i have a few spare hours at 3 in the morning.

Still, it's a pretty radical change.

Wilf

Originally posted by BrainThrust

I think it would be cool if it worked, mainyl because i seem to be awake half the night anyway, i might as well be able to shop at any time, or go see a film if i have a few spare hours at 3 in the morning.

well theres always the old t'internet for 24 hour shopping and downloading/watching films!

Just means some poor person will be required to work Sundays

Some people I've spoken to don't mind working Sundays. It gives them a day off in the week which some prefer.

Plus, they are getting a better rate for working on Sunday, and it's less hours than in a weekday.

Originally posted by alchresearch

Some people I've spoken to don't mind working Sundays. It gives them a day off in the week which some prefer.

Plus, they are getting a better rate for working on Sunday, and it's less hours than in a weekday.

YEA! :D People like me! I cant get enough of Sundays! Work from 7am to 4:30! Its my main earner of the week. Although at the moment I work Thursday and Saturdays. :thumbsup:

8) Nah Den Ace......

Originally posted by tinajones

......in some places shops still close at lunchtime on wednesday.

This still happens in Woodhouse Village. A lot of the shops close at dinnertime........even the local housing office does!

Not a bad thing in my opinion.........the workers get to chill out on Wednesday afts!!!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Sorry but maybe missing the point but I prefer to got to town on a Sunday. It is quiter, there is parking and it is free. Less oldies as they go in the week, and dogs and pushchairs don't seem as bad as there are less of them.

There was a farmers market on the Moor this Sunday which made it busier, but i would like it if this took off as more of the shops would possibly open.

I can't stand Meadowhell it is far too busy, usually end off sneaking to the cinema in there to get away from the chaos for a bit maybe i'm just not a born shopper, which can only be good.

Originally posted by alchresearch

You may get a better rate of pay for the time been but I believe that in the future it will be seen as just another day and all the benefits you mention will no longer exist.