Italian nello old friend.

Does anyone know what happened to old Nello who ran various restaurants and a sandwich shop at crookes in the 70s / 80s. I became good friends with him at that time, having some good nights out drinking etc, but lost touch when I moved away from Sheff many years ago. Would like to think he's still about.

Does anyone know what happened to old Nello who ran various restaurants and a sandwich shop at crookes in the 70s / 80s. I became good friends with him at that time, having some good nights out drinking etc, but lost touch when I moved away from Sheff many years ago. Would like to think he's still about.

I remember his sandwich shop in Broomhill, opposite the Broomhill Tavern, always wondered what happened to him

Yep sorry, it was Broomhill not crookes, Thanks.

wasn't Nello's the first Pizza shop in Sheffield? I lived on Westbourne Road and he was still there in the late 1980s.I did hear what happened to him but I have forgot. I can try and find out for you?

Think your talking about Nello Capone.....big nose and bad jokes is that right?.

Don't quote me but If memory serves he died about 15 years ago after a saturday night working at Paolo's La Gondola on Eccy road.

It was a heart attack......sat in his chair in front of the fire with his dogs at his feet and probably a glass of vino in his hand.

Thanks SchMilner. Shame about the old fella, wish I'd kept in touch. You're right about the bad jokes but a heart of gold and generous to a fault. If he still lived in the same house just off Abbeydale Rd, I can picture the chair (and the glass of red!) All the best.

I knew Nello, I worked with him about 1966 at the Rutland hotel. he was a lovely person.

I moved to Australia but we corresponded and I was on my way to see him just before he died.

He used to live on Kenwood Park Road at that time.

Sandra888.