What is Silversmiths like?

Thanks for the advice. Will have a look at previous posts as well. Pie night sounds like fun but will read some other reviews first as not really wanting to venture in to town to eat if its not all that good.:)

I went to silversmiths on friday night and i must say that i probably won't be going again.

At first we couldn't choose our food or drinks as all of the menu's and wine lists were being used (have never heard of this before- they were only on sheets of printed paper!!)

We then had to wait 50 minutes for our starters to be brought out, one of which was the wrong thing entirely so we then had to wait another 10 minutes for my wifes to be cooked- they were nothing to write home about we both thought, but the ownder did come over and apologise and knocked them off the bill- i thought this was a nice touch for this to be offered rather than me having to ask for it (which i was just about to do- he must be a mind reader!!)

The mains came pretty fast after that which was good as we were still pretty hungry, i had the steak and chips, the chips were very nice, fluffy and hand cut but my steak was underdone, i didn't send it back as i don't mind eating it rare but im sure a fussier diner would have done, my wifes chicken was very nice though and she ate the lot.

Overall we both agreed it was a very average meal at fairly reasonable prices, the venue has a nice atmosphere although the service does leave alot to be desired.

It was fine last time i went, but the chef left recently so not so sure now.

we were there for my partner's birthday tonight, and we weren't at all impressed. There were 16 people booked, we booked 2 weeks ago but found it hard to get them to return our messages, then there was a great fuss about they couldn't cope wth more than 12 people, then we could only have a restricted menu, then we had to get people to pre-order. I'd have thought EITHER pre-ordering from a full menu OR ordring on the night from a restruicted menu would be more reasonable. Then when the set menu came the options were very very poor (chicken breast, rump steak, pearl barley in pastry). The whole pricing structure for wednesdays is 3 courses £16, but the steak carries a £2 surcharge- fair enough if you have the whole menu to choose from, but if you have a £16 set menu and one option is veggie, and one has a steak surchatge then its really only one chicken option at the stated set menu price!

The guy running it seemed a bit reluctant to let the waitress bring us tap water, salmon starters had very little salmon, 'roast tomato' starter turned out to actually be soup, some portions on all courses were twice the size of others, rump steak very gristly, the birthday 'boy' main course was forgotten, the bill came and was overcharged by 2 people, and had a 10% service charge itemised, but said at the bottom 'service not included'- and after we asked them to take the over-billed meals off, the service charge stayed at 10% of the overcharged price. Mashed potato side order tasted VERY strange, definitely not the same type of potato used for the other side dishes, when asked what variety of potato had been used waitress promised to find out then avoided us- which we thought was SMASHing. Specially ordered wheat and dairy free food for friend with an alergy came with bread croutons, when pointed out chef brought it back apologised and had taken croutons off, saying it should now be fine as there was only mayonnaise. Checked with waitress if the mayonnaise was egg-free, she said she had checked and 'the chef believes that egg is poultry, not dairy'- vegans beware- while there is a lively debate to be had (see internet for full details), usually better with food alergies not to take a risk!

We did kind of feel that they were trying, but it was all a bit of a disaster really. Maybe Gordon Brown can have another crack at it.

Edited by craigpugh

Oh, i did mean Gordon Ramsay, but thinking about it, Gordon Brown's Kitchen Nightmares doe have a ring about it

we were there for my partner's birthday tonight, and we weren't at all impressed. There were 16 people booked, we booked 2 weeks ago but found it hard to get them to return our messages, then there was a great fuss about they couldn't cope wth more than 12 people, then we could only have a restricted menu, then we had to get people to pre-order. I'd have thought EITHER pre-ordering from a full menu OR ordring on the night from a restruicted menu would be more reasonable. Then when the set menu came the options were very very poor (chicken breast, rump steak, pearl barley in pastry). The whole pricing structure for wednesdays is 3 courses £16, but the steak carries a £2 surcharge- fair enough if you have the whole menu to choose from, but if you have a £16 set menu and one option is veggie, and one has a steak surchatge then its really only one chicken option at the stated set menu price!

The guy running it seemed a bit reluctant to let the waitress bring us tap water, salmon starters had very little salmon, 'roast tomato' starter turned out to actually be soup, some portions on all courses were twice the size of others, rump steak very gristly, the birthday 'boy' main course was forgotten, the bill came and was overcharged by 2 people, and had a 10% service charge itemised, but said at the bottom 'service not included'- and after we asked them to take the over-billed meals off, the service charge stayed at 10% of the overcharged price. Mashed potato side order tasted VERY strange, definitely not the same type of potato used for the other side dishes, when asked what variety of potato had been used waitress promised to find out then avoided us- which we thought was SMASHing. Specially ordered wheat and dairy free food for friend with an alergy came with bread croutons, when pointed out chef brought it back apologised and had taken croutons off, saying it should now be fine as there was only mayonnaise. Checked with waitress if the mayonnaise was egg-free, she said she had checked and 'the chef believes that egg is poultry, not dairy'- vegans beware- while there is a lively debate to be had (see internet for full details), usually better with food alergies not to take a risk!

We did kind of feel that they were trying, but it was all a bit of a disaster really. Maybe Gordon Brown can have another crack at it.

I assumed you meant Gordon Ramsay. ;)

Unfortunately, I've heard all too many stories like this about Silversmiths.

It sounds very much like it's on it's uppers again and has learned very little from the intervention it had from Gordon. If it is on it's uppers, although wallowing in the misfortune of others isn't my style, I'm glad: A restaurant that treats it's customer base like cretinous sheep doesn't deserve custom; doesn't deserve to have the opportunity to pretend that it's anything other than what it is, and frankly, in today's world where the consumer is king, doesn't deserve to exist.

Note to the owner if he's reading: It's maybe time to get out of the industry and do something that you can do! Instead of taking people's money in return for a pile of droll, uninspiring, second rate tut.

Edited by sTaGeWaLkEr

Went tonight for a birthday treat. Have to say was excellent. Was expecting it to be a bit pricier than it was. Definitely will go again!

I went about 9 months ago for our anniversary, and it was 3 courses for £15 or something similar, and the food was excellent, and would happily recommend it! It's a different chef (had just changed when we went) from the one when Ramsay helped them out.

food is very good,also i`m on a gluten free diet and i was well catered for,worth a visit.

went in back in December, and had a pretty poor experience. we hadn't booked, but the place was near empty midweek. my sister was up from london visiting for the evening, as she was in the north for work. we were hoping for a chance to have an early dinner, and then have a drink somewhere to catch up

so, at near seven pm, we stood and waited while three different people checked and double checked books, and went to ask if we could be accommodated. then we were just left. nearly 5 minutes passed, then one of the first people came back and said hello again, as they thought we had just walked in - they had forgotten about us.

we were seated in the window, next to a bucket that was collecting a drip from a leaking light socket. over the next two hours, only two more diners came in, meaning that a total of 7 people were eating.

despite the fact that all the menus were in the window, when we (belatedly) sat down, we were told we had to eat from the new Christmas deal (that wasn't in the window), ie: turkey and trimmings, nut roast, a fish dish and a couple of other bits from memory - fewer choices that expected. the (i assume) owner came over to enthuse us about the menu, and say how he would be back later, as he would love to hear our feedback on the brilliant new Christmas menu, all smiles and big hand gestures - he wasn't that bothered though, as he put his coat on and left about 10 minutes later

the drinks took an age to arrive. the starters came fairly quickly, but the mains were distant in their delivery. also absent were any waitresses. prompt and friendly when the manager / owner was about, they turned surly and lazy when he had gone. we ended up going to the bar and waiting in order to get some more drinks to replace those we has exhausted while waiting for our mains.

eventually we finished our meals, and dragged the bill from reluctant service staff. the bill was wrong - overcharging us (an extra round of drinks, and three times 3 courses when one of us had only had a main and a desert). this took a phenomenal amount of time to resolve, and there was an air of disbelief from the staff.

finally once that was sorted, we made to leave, but couldn't, as our coats were being kept backstage somewhere, and the staff (probably in absence of tip from us) again disappeared completely. this time, the duration was comical. i managed to find a chef, who said he would find our coats, but then went off himself. eventually my sister stood up, walked backstage and found them herself, and we promptly left.

it was a real shame, as the look and feel of the place is brilliant, and the food was great (if not exactly a bargain, even after the bill was bought back into line, it was still over £25 a head). but it was the single worst service i have seen in a normal restaurant - far beneath anything i have experienced, even in 'Frankie and Benny's'-esque chain joints. we didn't complain, as i think it was clear that we weren't impressed, and it was unlikely that it would make any difference to the staff who were there, if we could have found one!

the whole event had taken so long, we didn't have time to go to a pub afterward, so the whole night was a blowout. i'm guessing it was a one off bad night, but it has put me off going back! the few occasions we have been out since, in that part of town, we go to ego, as the setting is nice, the service is great, and the food, if not breathtaking, is clean and simple, always tasty, and served promptly (if almost TOO quick! :D).

i never thought it would happen, but I've ended up recommending a chain over a independent business.

Went for the first time last night and was greatly impressed. Hadn't booked a table but luckily there'd been a cancellation so after a bit of a wait during which we had a lovely cocktail we were given a table. Lovely food, only criticism being that I had the fishcakes and a piece of lemon to squeeze over would have been nice. Staff very professional and food absolutely lovely, can't wait to go back :)

I went a couple of months back. Food was great, the only thing i did not like was the woody herbs stuck in everything as a garnish. Everyone seems to be doing that, such a waste.