Jump to content


Were you working in the 50's & 60's?

Recommended Posts

On 21/08/2020 at 13:59, mikeG said:

My father, Eric George worked at Shepcote Lane 1947-1972.  He oversaw the installation of the Steckel Mill in the mid 50's. He died 2010 aged 92.

Hi Mike, I bet our dads new each other. My dad Jim Moore worked for Firth Vickers from 1930 until retiring in 1980 apart from serving in RAF during the war.. He was involved in installation of the Hot Mill at Shepcote Lane & was Assistant Mill Manager after it was commissioned. He said that when they started building the Hot Mill, Shepcote Lane was a very poor road not properly tarmacked etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2010 at 19:02, bobsville said:

yes i started work at t. c. hurdley on worthing road attercliffe 1968 then went to wm cooks untill present day

You know Brian Stevenson   Dave Sutton and Colin he used to go in pub at dinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2020 at 09:29, johnpm said:

Hi Mike, I bet our dads new each other. My dad Jim Moore worked for Firth Vickers from 1930 until retiring in 1980 apart from serving in RAF during the war.. He was involved in installation of the Hot Mill at Shepcote Lane & was Assistant Mill Manager after it was commissioned. He said that when they started building the Hot Mill, Shepcote Lane was a very poor road not properly tarmacked etc.

Hi John.  I remember Dad mentioning Jimmy Moore many times. Dad retired in 1972 and moved to Hawarden which is where he married in 1940. He started a picture framing business in the village. In his 80's he kept in touch with Jeff Edwards (Shepcote Lane) and they often went to Madeira for 2/3 months to escape the Welsh winter. Jeff died last year aged 100.

Edited by mikeG
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mikeG said:

Hi John.  I remember Dad mentioning Jimmy Moore many times. Dad retired in 1972 and moved to Hawarden which is where he married in 1940. He started a picture framing business in the village. In his 80's he kept in touch with Jeff Edwards (Shepcote Lane) and they often went to Madeira for 2/3 months to escape the Welsh winter. Jeff died last year aged 100.

Thanks Mike. That's good to know !  I think I remember dad mentioning the name Eric George sometimes. When I was young I didn't see much of dad as he always worked on a Saturday so it was only Sundays when we were together. When I was around 14 he started having Saturdays off & we could go to football etc  together. I started work at English Steel in 1960 & had to work Saturday mornings too so I guess most people did then.  Dad died in 1987 age 72 from cancer.

Edited by johnpm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2020 at 23:04, Hammer driver said:

bobsville. I worked at TC hurdley driving for Mo From 77-78 then moved to BSC spring shop Shepcote Lane 

Did youknow brian stevenson   dave sutton and colin who was always in pub from handsworth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I left the Tech. in 1949, I joined the Royal Navy. While waiting for the date to leave I got a job as a shop assistant in an Hardwear shop which was situated by the side of the Peace Gardens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  left school in 1967 and you could have a number of jobs you could apply for I started in September as a cost clerk for J F Finnegan. On Ecclesall Road the office was in  large wooden hut that was connected to the main building. It was cold in the winter because it only had night storage heaters. In 1969 I went to Sheffield Twist drill and steel co ltd. Which my father was working as a machine center less grinder as a trainee work study engineer until 1978. I then have went to work as a full fledge work study  engineer at Rothervale joinery at Woodhouse Mill in Sheffield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, desy said:

I  left school in 1967 and you could have a number of jobs you could apply for I started in September as a cost clerk for J F Finnegan. On Ecclesall Road the office was in  large wooden hut that was connected to the main building. It was cold in the winter because it only had night storage heaters. In 1969 I went to Sheffield Twist drill and steel co ltd. Which my father was working as a machine center less grinder as a trainee work study engineer until 1978. I then have went to work as a full fledge work study  engineer at Rothervale joinery at Woodhouse Mill in Sheffield.

What was your father's name;  I worked as a centreless grinder  from 1972  - 1989.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.