Were you working in the 50's & 60's?

Ist job at 16 at Weston Seniors wholesalers on West Bar (1957), I only lived quarter of a mile away but was late often. Stan Weston fired me one day but rang our pub next day, and said come back which I did but no money there so went to Sammy Osbornes which was a bit of an eye-opener to say the least, but taught me about life as a working man.

I started work at kayser ellison on carlisle st. in 1959, my first wage was £2-8s-3d. My mother let me keep the lot, and boy, did think I was rich!.

Thanks very much for your replies, I'll get back to you all via PM's

On 30 May 2010 at 19:02, bobsville said:

yes i started work at t. c. hurdley on worthing road attercliffe 1968 then went to wm cooks untill present day

bobsville. I worked at TC hurdley driving for Mo From 77-78 then moved to BSC spring shop Shepcote Lane 

Started at English Steel Corporation on Brightside Lane on 7th September 1960 as Research trainee where we spent 3 months in every Research Laboratory & Works Metallurgical Dept.  I was also a Works Guide taking parties of visitors round the works. After 3 years I went into the Welding laboratory as my permanent job. Welding was a technology that was moving rapidly at that time.  In October 1967 I got a job at British Iron & Steel Research Association on Hoyle St in  Steelmaking Dept where I stayed until that site was closed in 1976 when steelmaking moved to a new Lab at Teesside. Other Depts moved to Swinden Labs at Rotherham.  By the time we moved BISRA had been brought into British Steel Corporation. 

I started my working life in 1964 as a "trainee cost accountant" at Geo. Bassett & Co. Absolutely hated it and left after 12 month's to join the Sheffield Smelting Company as an "accounts trainee".  This was at Royds Mill, Windsor Street. Spent 5 years working there and qualified as an accountant, at the age of 21, in 1969. A completely different life then but thoroughly enjoyable and made some good friends. Sadly now I have lost touch with everyone from that era.

Edited by Dorset Blade

My father, Eric George worked at Shepcote Lane 1947-1972.  He oversaw the installation of the Steckel Mill in the mid 50's. He died 2010 aged 92.

Started my working life in 1955, at British Railways, Wicker Goods depot. First as a Junior Clerk, then as a Messenger, then as a Numbertaker.

Later went into the cutlery industry where I spent most of my life as a Machine Grinder.

Hi. Dorset Blade.  I joined Sheffield smelting in April 1970 as teleprinter operator.  I was there for 3 years.  My dad worked in silver bullion.  Mr Gould was office manager, Tony Knight assistant.  Janet Hicks was in printing.  Did you ever see her Rod Stewart impression?  I remember it to this day.  I could go on for ever.  So many happy memories.

My first job was in a fishmongers,  up the gennal  Firth Park. Going home on the bus (No 1) afterwards  didn't get many people wanting to sit near me. Don't  know why .

Owner used to put bits of money in places, to see if I would take it, never did take any. 

At the end of the day the owner would cash up the takings. Put the money in a money bag. Lift a trap door that was in the room at the back of the shop go down the steps into the cellar and put the money bag somewhere, I was told never to go down into the cellar, not very trusting was the owner. When my Grandfather died, I was told that I could not go to the funeral, because it was on a Friday and Friday was the busiest day.  I worked until the Thursday before the funeral  walked out at the end of the day and  (without telling them) didn't go back. I went to the funeral. Not nice people to work for.

On 20/08/2020 at 23:04, Hammer driver said:

bobsville. I worked at TC hurdley driving for Mo From 77-78 then moved to BSC spring shop Shepcote Lane 

hammer driver  i went to hurdleys  in 73 worked on top hammer with gorden ciurcit  was there 15 years loved every minute    topcater

On 30/05/2010 at 19:11, sprocky said:

in the 60"s you could tell the gaffer to stuff his job, and within a couple of hours you could walk straight into another, ?

Yes that's how it was in the 60's.