Were you working in the 50's & 60's?

Your memories WANTED for a new book.

Did you work in or around Sheffield in the 1950’s or 60’s? Perhaps you worked in the cities famous steel industry or within one of the many engineering or manufacturing works? If so we’d love to hear your stories and memories from that time. Shop floor up to management, we’re interested in all your industrial tales.

David Hall, (producer, director and author responsible for the popular Fred Dibnah programmes on BBC2) is currently writing a new book. ‘Working Lives’ will tell the stories of some of the people that worked in Britain’s major industrial industries in the 1950’s & 60’s, when this Country was still considered the workshop of the world.

It’s the stories of your work, life and times that we want to hear and feel should be preserved. We’re looking for people who’d be happy to spare an hour to talk about memories from their earlier lives and about the communities they were part of. The jobs you had and what they entailed; social and family life, local traditions, courting rituals, the hardships and the pleasures in life, works outings, the decline of industry and the affect it had upon your community…. your memories of Britain in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s.

If you think that you, or someone you know would like to contribute to the book please do not hesitate to contact Kathryn on: 0113 249 3001 or

[email protected]

yes i started work at t. c. hurdley on worthing road attercliffe 1968 then went to wm cooks untill present day

in the 60"s you could tell the gaffer to stuff his job, and within a couple of hours you could walk straight into another, ?

I worked in the Cutlery Industry for fifty years prior to my retirement.

Started work at Owlerton Green Garage (was oposite the dog track ) in 1967

1968. I had finished university and was waiting to emigrate to Canada. For a few months I kept body and soul together by working at a light manufacturing firm just off the bottom of the Moor. It was arranged in the form of a yard, with tradespeoples' work shops all around the perimeter of it. My job all day was to dip threaded bolts one at a time into a bucket of liquid plastic using a pair of hand tongs. Even at the time I thought this was a bit of a primitive way to do the task. Directly opposite the firm was a shop where you could buy sausage, bacon and egg sandwiches laced with tinned tomatoes. Quite a line up at break time.

Anyone any idea what that firm was called? I guess a number would fit my description.

in the 60"s you could tell the gaffer to stuff his job, and within a couple of hours you could walk straight into another, ?

And that is just what I did with my first job (1959/1963). I never regretted it - not for one single moment.

Started work in 1956 at the then English Steel Corporation Ltd later to become BSC.

Moved from there to Firth Browns then back to BSC forv the new Stainless Steel Development at Tinsley Park and Shepcote Lane.

Moved from there to Ashlow Engineering on Alsing Rd eventually working at Bridon Offshore Systems Ltd on Eben St.

I started work in 1957 immediately after leaving school. It was a job at C&A's that I had landed following a letter that I wrote to them in an English lesson.

After 3 years they sacked me.......There had been a tram or bus strike and whilst it was on they weren't too bothered about you being late, just so long as you got there. Unfortunately, once it was over, it took me a while to get back into my routine.

We had to clock in and if you clocked in after 8.50 it came on in red and you had to take your card to explain to a supervisor why you were late. She then signed it and put a ring round it.....I got sacked because I had 3 of these rings in one week......It was like 8.51 one day, 8.52 another.......in total though 5 mins.......5 minutes! can you imagine that happening these days?

I started working in 1962 at the age of 15yrs. What a shock it was after school days. It was quite frightening at first. I would love to talk to someone about those days if it would be of interest.

I started work in 1956 with a Chartered Accountant called Harold Bashforth, whose offices were in Bank Street. After about a year, I went back into education.

Fist job was at WH Smiths , I forget the name of the steet, they were in lovely big old building on a corner, we had to get the orders together for the salesmen, I don't think there was a thing that they didn't sell.....after that it was a few cutlery factories and a furniture shop, I enjoyed every job I had, met nice people and always had a good laugh.