How come other cities are so far in front of Sheffield

Yep, just look at the redevelopment of the winter gardens, peace gardens and leopold square, it's a shame they didn't get anywhere. :suspect:

Sorry, yes they are great and supertram is a godsend. But, the city centre shopping experience is still not very good. I simply meant that everything seems to take so long, like the Moor and Castle Market move and the roadworks on Arundle gate .... its a pain to try and walk through Sheffield at the moment.

Things that killed Sheffield!..........Labour led council for too many years!(Blunkett and his cohorts never helped)..........appalling planning decisions!..........and what killed the city centre well before Meadowhall,was the annexing of London/Abbeydale road from the centre, by the huge manpower services red brick building at the bottom of the moor.London Road has since recovered,but the Moor has been in the wilderness for years! a great Sheffield tragedy!

Leeds has more Tories than Sheffield, got more money than Sheffield. Sheffield didn't really start getting any real money to regenerate until the evil money wasting last government got in.

They've also had the bonus of having Leeds Forward based there (sorry, keep forgetting they are called Yorkshire Forward, but then again, I think they have problems remembering anywhere other than Leeds).

Have you noticed, when the Govt was pulling funding, they didn't pull Leeds Arena. Leeds got all the big concerts before we got the Arena, they have a concert venue, why to they get tons of money to build a new one at the expense of Sheffield (sorry forgot, Tories)

Yes, they are just on with building a £300 million Civic and Cultural Quarter there. Not to mention the huge development on the north of the town, the bars, cafes, and shops in the waterfront development.

Doncaster is still a horrible tip with one of the worst Councils in the country. Sheffield is way ahead of Doncaster. I've lived here nearly all my life and i'm moving next month to Huddersfield. Can't wait. It's an awful awful town.

Airport???? What Airport???? People don't even know it exists!! The signage sucks as well!

Edited by mpchooligan

We'll never compare with Manchester ...it's a much bigger city. Chalk and cheese.

Sheffield centre is far from crappy. Just exactly what do you expect?

Good range of shopping.

Two top theatres

Two cinemas including a leading independent

Increasing range of bars and restaurants

Attractive public areas

Good transport links.

Just what is it you are looking for?

Then again, people who go to Manchester are always disapointed. It's not what the media hype the place up to be. It's one of the UK's most overrated cities.

When you go to Sheffield it's either what you expect it to be like or it takes you by suprise!

Edited by mpchooligan

All I can say is if you dont like it move to one of the more advanced wonderfull cities and stop moaning about it.

Its people who do all of the talking with no action that causes the decline of any city.

I bet quite a few forgemasters workers would like to comment on this thread.

Agree that some other cities are ahead of Sheffield in terms of a more buzzing town centre etc, but don't agree at all that Sheffield is a dump.

Sheffield may be smaller and quieter but a dump it is not!

Is tha mad?!?!

Winter Gardens?

Biggest theater set up outside of London?

Fargate?

Devonshire Green?

Peace Gardens?

The soon to be "Sevenstone"?

The only "bad" areas are:

The Moor; being done up as i type

Castle Market; needs knocking down altogether and some trees and grass put there.

Have you not been to Weston Park or anywhere near there either?!?!

Idiotoc thread (no offence)

Agree that some other cities are ahead of Sheffield in terms of a more buzzing town centre etc, but don't agree at all that Sheffield is a dump.

Sheffield may be smaller and quieter but a dump it is not!

Have you visited the council estates ?

I've seen of our council estates but not all.

All cities have their rough areas. I'm speaking generally but I don't think sheffield is a dump. All down to one's individual perception I suppose. I think Sheffield is a smart city to live in.

Edited by discovery

Manchester, Leicester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Chester, there just the ones off the top of my head which make Sheffield a real dump and to be quite frank look light years ahead of us, have the government took our city for granted our is it our leaders of Sheffield in the past say 30 years who are to blame, come on peeps the place is a mess.

I'm proud to be a Sheffielder but the place seems to be getting worse rather than better, sos rant over lol :)

I think you are getting confused between our city, and it's soccer teams.

Our soccer teams are really duff.

Our City is pretty cool.

The centre looks amazing. Instead of wasting your money on a soccer match this weekend, buy yourself a tram ticket, and visit the Peace Gardens and the surrounding area. It looks fab! I for one am very proud of my City. :)