Drain (problems/recommendations) megathread

Just want to say that I got in touch with rocky1 (Dave) on here and he came out yesterday and did a great job unblocking our drain so I can heartily recommend his services as others have done.

Hi Rocky

Could you pm me your contact details?

sent you a pm

Rocky . I tried to pm you but apparently I've not been on the forum long enough.nplease can you PM me with your contact details . Thanks

In the past couple of weeks we have noticed a small waterlogged patch of ground between our house and right up to the fence with next door.. We think it's rainwater. We have had our gutter and downspout checked and its not running down from our property. We have been to see them, but there is nothing obvious on their side. We think there may be a connecting drain with next door. Any advice?

Our outside drain is a problem It's blocked up over the years with leaves which packs itself in as soil when it sets. I have tried drain cleaners but I don't really see how that is supposed to shift soil anyway, and it hasn't.

I have cleared it by hand as far as I can but then whatever I push down to clear comes across the bend in the pipe and gets no further. I have tried Wickes drain rod and that won't go round the bend even though it is a bit flexible. Anyone any ideas. It's on our property by the way so not councils problem?

Our outside drain is a problem It's blocked up over the years with leaves which packs itself in as soil when it sets. I have tried drain cleaners but I don't really see how that is supposed to shift soil anyway, and it hasn't.

I have cleared it by hand as far as I can but then whatever I push down to clear comes across the bend in the pipe and gets no further. I have tried Wickes drain rod and that won't go round the bend even though it is a bit flexible. Anyone any ideas. It's on our property by the way so not councils problem?

Do an internet search on "drain snake".

Do an internet search on "drain snake".

Ok dutch, thank's. Had a look but it seems to be for sinks etc. The one myself and the neighbor tried was supposed to be flexi, but wouldn't go round the first bend.

Ok dutch, thank's. Had a look but it seems to be for sinks etc. The one myself and the neighbor tried was supposed to be flexi, but wouldn't go round the first bend.

What diameter is the pipe roughly, sometimes its possible to use a plunger even if you have to use a plastic bag to make it fit better and violently push it up and down.

I'm only guessing cause I haven't seen it.

What diameter is the pipe roughly, sometimes its possible to use a plunger even if you have to use a plastic bag to make it fit better and violently push it up and down.

I'm only guessing cause I haven't seen it.

It's about 4 and a half inches in diameter. As I say I can clear it by hand for about 8 inches to the first 45 degree bend and then it must slope down for about 7 or 8 feet to another 45 degree bend and then out to to the main drain on our path. When I lift the manhole cover off that and look down about 6 feet at an angle the pipe looks to be clear at that point.

It's about 4 and a half inches in diameter. As I say I can clear it by hand for about 8 inches to the first 45 degree bend and then it must slope down for about 7 or 8 feet to another 45 degree bend and then out to to the main drain on our path. When I lift the manhole cover off that and look down about 6 feet at an angle the pipe looks to be clear at that point.

That is difficult.

These are only suggestions.

1: fill the pipe as much with water as possible, try to get it full. Then use a 4.5 inch plunger inside the pipe, use the 8 inches. And violently, hard, abrupt, with force move it up and down for a few minutes, don't stop keep doing it hard for a while.

You need to be strong and I give that 50% chance of success.

2. get access to the first bend and remove it to use a 8 feet snake, the pipe can be fixed again afterwards. Use two 45 bend to make access easier.

That will have close to 100% of success.

good luck.

Edited by dutch