Where to put the crimean war memorial

Some of us do hitman [you aren't really are you?].That's been borne out by several thtreads on the Forum today.

All the best

Wards Bitter [or it was- you didn't smell it before you supped it]

I saw it say that they are in some council storage somewhere (the columns), its was in a book about Sheffield or in the Museum I can't remember. I sure they still have all the parts anyhow to put it back up.

Thanks hard 2 miss. Will make enquiries

Good Night All - And So To Bed As Mr Pepys Said

I must say I was really disappointed when they replaced its positioning in the Botanical Gardens with that thing that looks like it should have an assortment of tea cakes arranged on it. There is a trend with heritage projects to fix old plans in aspic and never change them, but I thought the Crimean monument looked just right where she ended up at that spot.

I think Endcliffe Park was the dumping ground for several old monuments, with a bit of organization it would be quite good to have a dedicated monument ground where people could see the various works gathered, like a sculpture park.

Though I think any roundabout, as suggested, is as good a place as any for a piece of historic and artistic interest. Perhaps they'd think it too distracting.

Well I can't sleep Purdyamos- I know what you say. Problem is that so much of the contemporary surroundings for these momuments have gone for various reasons that what survives is difficult to place appropriately,

really think it should be put back in its original place...a very grand looking monument.

It used to be at the foot of the Moor. Maybe it should go back there.

It was at Moorhead not Moorfoot Just in between where Debenhams and Stone the Crows are now. Why not site it on Fargate when The Wheel has gone.

morning all,

Thanks for some great photos and helpful comments. Good to know so many forum folk care.

Come on Wednesday !

Come on Wednesday !

Not 'til Wednesday ?....are you having an extended Bank Holiday weekend ? :D

Seem to remember reading that there was a couple of Crimean cannons with it. Are they with monument?

They weren't from the Crimea, they were the Town Guns belonging to the Sheffield Volunteers. They were put in store at Endcliffe Hall for years, but I believe they are now at Kelham Island.

the Botanical Gardens would have been a much better placve for it. It looked good there.