Where to put the crimean war memorial

Cheers Karl101,

Thats it-the top bit looks like a young Queen Victoria but is supposed to represent Victory and was in the Botanical Gardens. The col-I think- is in several pieces in Upperthorpe while there's a bit missing that the Council sold but don't remember who to !

Hillsborough Barracks is a thought but it should stay in the city centre.

Could i ask where that picture was taken? if anyone can identify it? maybe it could go back there if it is possible.

Hi Dink,

That's Moorhead - roughly where the electrical store is now- God what do they call it !

Newton Chambers used but it got flattened in the Blitz.

Cheers Karl101,

Thats it-the top bit looks like a young Queen Victoria but is supposed to represent Victory and was in the Botanical Gardens. The col-I think- is in several pieces in Upperthorpe while there's a bit missing that the Council sold but don't remember who to !.

I remember the statue in the Botanical Gardens, before they replaced it with that rubbish fountain. It was in a sorry state of repair, I recall a missing hand. I live in Upperthorpe, I've not seen any column shaped lumps of stone, but then, I've not been looking.

K.

it was in Hammond Street playground - is that Upperthorpe? I'll go and look for it if anyone can give me directions.

Could i ask where that picture was taken? if anyone can identify it? maybe it could go back there if it is possible.

The photo is looking up pinsonte street towards the peace gardens/ town hall.

The church in the back ground is where the peace gardens is now .

To take a modern image of this phot you would have to stand at he top of the moor pedestrain area with debenhams to your left behind you , furnival gate is in front of you and redgates (!) is to your right

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=7000642.jpg

the modern image is taken to the left of the origional the memorail would be in the middle of the white building to our right behind the bus

Edited by bus man
link added

Anyone know where Hammond Street is? Thats where the cut up bites of the col are.

Hammond Street on Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/29dx2oe I don't recall seeing any strange stones. Perhaps they're part of the shrubbery?

K.

Karl,

You are a gent-many thanks- my information is from a book dated 1997-I will investigate and report back. May be they have gone to that great Council store 'from whose dark bourne no traveller returns.

Cheers

no one cares anymore and thats a sad siuation,