Open up Sheffield castle remains!

There are plans to open up the remains of Sheffield Castle and create an urban green space which will also feature a memorial to the Sheffield Pals.

This is the most exciting regeneration scheme in the city and as as exciting a scheme asany that have breathed new life in the city centre.

Lets get behind it !

This has been planned for several years. Are we any more further on as I'd love to see whats there?

Duckweed,

Hoping to see some concrete progress [ironic if you think about Castle Market] in the near future but it all depends on the Markets moving to the bottom of the Moor. It will also cost a mint to pul down the Markets.

There was talk about a refurb of the Markets[ !] before they fall/ crumble down Some archaelogical investigatory bore holes, to try to estimate the extent of the remaining archaelogy, are supposedly in the pipeline. Watch this space !

It would be great, we could do a history trail linking up Nags Head Carbrook Hall, the Castle remains, Manor Lodge, Beauchief Abbey, and Bishops House.

Oeeer, this sounds a very interesting thread, keep me eye on this one!!

There is a small book on the history of the castle including the tunnels they found when building the shops. They have it in the shop near the Millenium Gallery. May have it in one of the museum shops. Theres a tunnel that runs all the way down to the river. Seems odd. If the besiegers of the castle had known they could have just gone up the tunnel and planted explosives.

Whatever the cost Sheffield needs to dig this site. It was the fourth largest castle in England, 4 acres in size and bigger than Warwick. Sheffield has a wonderful Tudor history with its mighty castle, Sheffield Manor Lodge and the Great Sheffield Deer park.

Visit Weston Park and you would think what Tudor history as no display exists. Back to the Caste, Sheffield needs a central focal point of history-it had it with the Castle , lost it and now needs to restore Castle Park with a visitor centre attached to it. I understand 75-80% remains underground.

I agree. Who knows what they might find with modern archeaology methods. It would be nice to see plaques on buildings so people can get an idea how big the area of the castle was.

Thanks for all postive and interesting contributions-please keep them coming.

I know there is a seperate thread regarding Bishops House- Is there a tour on Monday ?

Cheers -Wards Bitter.

The tours on Sunday. There are in fact 2 Tours. We are hoping to get loads of people there to meet there and meet some Friends of Bishops House and discuss what we'd like to happen at Bishops House in the future. We are hoping to have picnic but weather is looking dodgy. See

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresite/html/bishops.asp

on how to get there.