Ex.balfour darwins employees

I too remember Rita in the Post Room and Ken who was Mr Mark's chauffeur.  I don't remember her name but I remember a lady on the switchboard at the Wicker who used to come round once a month to collect money for 'private' calls made!  (It might be Grace?)

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/08/2020 at 13:26, Darjeeling said:

I too remember Rita in the Post Room and Ken who was Mr Mark's chauffeur.  I don't remember her name but I remember a lady on the switchboard at the Wicker who used to come round once a month to collect money for 'private' calls made!  (It might be Grace?)

Grace was the name of the switchboard lady. I remember her too, along with Rita in the Post Room.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what happened to Pete Ovens (Manager), Frank Smith (Personnel Manager of Arthur Balfours Capital Tool Works) or Mike Whittaker (Peronnel Manager of Darwins Special Steels) or Geoff Forrest (Asst. Electrical Manager) = all based at Greenland Road, Sheffield.  I worked in Personnel for Frank and Mike, Mona Verity and Bill Petcher and left end of 1971.  I also remember Henry Hall Group Personnel Manager based on the Wicker.

• 1 year later...

FWIW My Grandad, Herbert Edwards was Chief Engineer at Balfours upto c 1968 . I remember as a 4 your old being shown all over, within feet of the blast furnaces, and pouring steel, hammer forges,  rolling mills, cooling racks and even flying cobbs at alloy steel rods - scary !! 

(he'd probably be locked up for 'eff and safety offenses towards minors now 🙂 ) . I also remember loads of 'steadfast' screw drivers .. and their  assembly tracks .. still got a few .

And playing cards with grinding wheels (as attached) . 

Happy days and made me the engineer I am now (mas-design.com)    

grind.jpg

Brian Robinson was works manager when I worked at Woodbourne road, Ruth Whinspear was his secretary, John and George foreman, can't remember surnames, Dawn Howden in office and Mrs Parrot, and a lovely lady who's name I can't remember, but she loved Athletics and tennis. 

Edited by Uggy

Mrs Parrot possibly Rita, drove a Skoda Estelle, lovely lady possibly Lillian. Johnny Hogg worked there, Stan Cupitt, John Taylor and  Arthur Coe. 

Greenland road, Phil Sharpe, somebody Staniland in Arc furnace shop, ran the fishing club I think, and of course Clatter's can't remember his name, Norma, she married Roger Swindle not necessarily the correct spelling, Chris Nut, married a lady called Sonia, a very unfortunate pairing of names, Johnny Hepworth, Trevor Dawes, Barry and Pete Keeton, Pete married Jennifer, out of stores I think had a son called Carl again I think, Rex Oldale, I worked with his grandson many years later. Cedric Hesp had a small holding, Barry Glossop,  John Halgarth, Geoff  Haigh, Alan Hicks, his parents had the Enfield his brother married one of the Daughters of Jack and Brenda Horsefield in the pub next door the Railway, now the noose and Gibbet. Hillary Bird née Leng.