Ex.balfour darwins employees

I remember your father, and in fact my friend and colleague (a twin) married his son (maybe it's you!?) I still see Christine Day occasionally, she used to work for your father too.

My eldest brother married the twin, would you like me to put you in touch?

• 3 weeks later...
id love to trace some of my old workmates who i worked alongside at balfour darwins steel works in the wicker from 1965-71!-i worked in the printing/stationary dept.and i remember---judy wood,sandra hartley,margaret black,pam mcquillan,shirley mullins,and from other departments--andrew pointer,malcom?,john ingram,john gascoigne,jannette?brian tidy,rita(post room) heather? and im sure there are a lot more that will spring to mind!ive already met up with joan ritson from shipping dept!---they had there own wacky races syndicate every week when they used to bet on the winner on tv!

unfortunately some of my old workmates have passed away-peter hancock being the most noable one-he passed away about 7 years ago aged 50:(

I'm surprised not many more people have entered this thread of the forum. I remember very well coming down into the stationery dept as junior. Used to be a happy jaunt from the offices to the back of the Wicker picture house. Strange situation that was. I remember Rita of the names you mentioned and Shirley Mullins but none of the others, also Joan Ritson, her sister Irene worked there too in the same office as I did. Still see her occasionally. Let's hope more people come on-line to bring back more happy memories!!

I'm surprised not many more people have entered this thread of the forum. I remember very well coming down into the stationery dept as junior. Used to be a happy jaunt from the offices to the back of the Wicker picture house. Strange situation that was. I remember Rita of the names you mentioned and Shirley Mullins but none of the others, also Joan Ritson, her sister Irene worked there too in the same office as I did. Still see her occasionally. Let's hope more people come on-line to bring back more happy memories!!

Hello there this is your little sister Wendy! As you know I worked at Balfour Darwin when I left school in '69 in the accounts office as a junior - I can't remember a lot of people, Cyril I think worked in my office, I remember the glamorous post ladies, queing up for the dripping cakes and tea in the canteen and going over to the pub (was it coach and horses?) on special occasions. I also remember the cleaner there, can't remember her name, but she used to eat blue cheese a lot!! I remember going to the rounders games too.

Hello there this is your little sister Wendy! As you know I worked at Balfour Darwin when I left school in '69 in the accounts office as a junior - I can't remember a lot of people, Cyril I think worked in my office, I remember the glamorous post ladies, queing up for the dripping cakes and tea in the canteen and going over to the pub (was it coach and horses?) on special occasions. I also remember the cleaner there, can't remember her name, but she used to eat blue cheese a lot!! I remember going to the rounders games too.

Hi little sis, big sis here! The pub we went to mainly from Balfour Darwins was The Big Gun had many a good Christmas Office party there! I also remember fetching dripping cakes from canteen, Auntie Nellie used to be the waitress that served us. Was the cleaner's name Millie? Yes the rounders were great and netball, badminton and table tennis. Happy days!

• 3 weeks later...
My eldest brother married the twin, would you like me to put you in touch?

Wondered if you had got in touch with Val for me, would be interested to hear from her or even her twin, Roma. Sure would bring a lot of happy memories back, both of work and sports as we were in the same netball and rounders team, winning cups for Balfour's would you believe!? I'm Elaine by the way.

• 1 month later...
my sister and my aunt worked there , if i remember right they used to have a rounders team and i used to watch em up the midland bank ground at dore.thats if its the right firm which i think it is

Balfour Darwins did have a good rounders team but they also had their own Sports ground which was next door to the Midland Banks. Spent many a happy hour there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to live next door to Reg Brown who - I think - worked at BD all his life. If I remember correctly his final role was as 'export correspondent' which involved him liaising with overseas customers, but I believe he had earlier had other roles in the factory. He used to tell tales of BD during the war years.