Ex.balfour darwins employees

On 20/07/2009 at 00:01, yorkscot said:

I also worked at Templeborough/Tinsley branch Darwins Fitzwilliam Works,in the 1950s I remember big Mary in the magnet dept, the boss was Cliff Shaw also Tommy Allot (The Speedway rider) and his wife worked there. I worked in the fitters shop. Very happy days.

Brian Anderson.

I worked in the offices as a "Progress chaser" from 1965 to 1968. I started in the foundry office and moved to "Tru process" dept under Lance Crofts. He was a great boss but my heart was in music. I got the sack for going on tour after being told I couldn't have two weeks off and then had a third week because I couldn't face going back to office work! I think I started on about £4 per week aged 17/18. 

My late friend Alwyne Varah worked at various branches of Darwins in Design he was chief Draughtsman i believe and he invented a valve for the furnaces which is still in use today it saved Darwins a fortune.

Edited by bullerboY

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 22:40, victormh said:

wallace2720 - I now remember the name of the guy who came to Steads in 1962 from Balfour Darwins. His first name was Paul, and he would be around 22 at the time - bit taller than average and with fair hair. He came into Production Control Office to take over Sylvia Cheethams job due to her being pregnant. Her maiden name was Maskery and from Wybourne - Best Regards - Victor

Its quite a while since I last read this thread and right now I still cannot remember you

As I said before I left in February 1963. I was in the production control office which was on the left after going through the doors which were at the end of the reception area and just past the door into the Board Room

At the time I left Ray Walker was Production Control Manager who has been promoted to Works Manager - others being Herbert Morton progress chaser, his young assistant Jeffrey ??? a girl 18/19 called Carol, the guy who came from Balfour Darwins HQ by the name of Paul ??? and a lad about 20 but cannot remember his name

I sat at the bottom end of the office - desk in  front of Ray Walkers - you must have been there before I left

So where were you located in the offices ??? - I remember Colin Blounts office at the top of the staircase, next the general office and the at the end of there was John ???? and his girl  who were the "time and motion" people who calculated the Piece Work Rates

Other side of the corridor was (I think) the toilets and next to that Miss Booker the employment officer

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

I worked in the Cost Office from 1968 with Denis Gent,  Ann Wilkes, Winnie Bainbridge, Bill Evans, Diane Beevers, Roy Jukes, Doreen Housman and Peggy Longmore.  Worked in the Wicker until 1975 and then moved to opposite where Meadowhall is now on Sheffield Road when we became Edgar Allen Balfour.

After that we became Edgar Allen Mining Products and I left to go to London and Scandinaian when the Dengles and Standall tools took over. Would be nice to know where any of the above are now.

Did you know John Green who I believe worked at the Wicker site ...many years ago though.?

Hi Meltman - I think I remember someone called Green (can't remember his Christian name) who was works manager. He had a secretary called Audrey Mycock.

I think that's the chap AJS, I seem to remember his secretary's name. John was a very good friend of my brother-in-law Albert Carnell who was melting manager at Broughton Lane and then became works manager for a short time. John Green used to live and help run the sports club on hathersage Road, I've spent many hours there.

I remember Albert too, especially the brief time he was works manager. My old mate Bill Evans was the accountant there at the time - must have been early 80's. This was just before it all closed down.

Many thanks AJS, I usee to visit Broughton Lane on the odd Saturday with Albert, probably early 60's. I know it all got a bit messy when it was taken over with possible transfer to manchester if I remember correctly. Albert was glad he got out.

On 14/08/2005 at 20:14, mikeyspikey said:

id love to trace some of my old workmates who i worked alongside at balfour darwins steel works in the wicker from 1965-71!-i worked in the printing/stationary dept.and i remember---judy wood,sandra hartley,margaret black,pam mcquillan,shirley mullins,and from other departments--andrew pointer,malcom?,john ingram,john gascoigne,jannette?brian tidy,rita(post room) heather? and im sure there are a lot more that will spring to mind!ive already met up with joan ritson from shipping dept!---they had there own wacky races syndicate every week when they used to bet on the winner on tv!

unfortunately some of my old workmates have passed away-peter hancock being the most noable one-he passed away about 7 years ago aged 50:(

You might have known my Grandad? He was a Stock Clerk. Doug Riches? Retired I think somewhere between 76 - 81.

I worked for Mark Balfour at Balfour Darwins at the Wicker for two years, leaving in 1974. 

I too remember Rita in the Post Room and Ken who was Mr Mark's chauffeur.  I don't remember her name but I remember a lady on the switchboard at the Wicker who used to come round once a month to collect money for 'private' calls made!  (It might be Grace?)