Ex.balfour darwins employees

id love to trace some of my old workmates who i worked alongside at balfour darwins steel works in the wicker from 1965-71!-i worked in the printing/stationary dept.and i remember---judy wood,sandra hartley,margaret black,pam mcquillan,shirley mullins,and from other departments--andrew pointer,malcom?,john ingram,john gascoigne,jannette?brian tidy,rita(post room) heather? and im sure there are a lot more that will spring to mind!ive already met up with joan ritson from shipping dept!---they had there own wacky races syndicate every week when they used to bet on the winner on tv!

unfortunately some of my old workmates have passed away-peter hancock being the most noable one-he passed away about 7 years ago aged 50:(

anybody work for balfour darwins in the wicker, I worked there 68 to 73, they also had a place at templeborough and one on attercliffe.There was a lovely chippy across the road that did chip butties.

I remember Balfour Darwins very well judith. As a kid my Mum worked at the one on Broughton lane and every Christmas we used to go to the wicker to the annual kid's party.

In 68/71 I worked at the side of it in the Wicker ( Samuel Osbourn's ) in the forge.

Do you remember the pork butcher's "friedrichs" on the corner that did wonderful "dripping" cakes.

Thinking back I also remember "acquiring" the Eagle statue that was on the corner of the building. It was in our garden for ages.

Hi,

My Father retired from Balfours on the Wicker in 1969 after 51 years service!

His name was Sydney Rhodes and I think he worked in G department

my sister and my aunt worked there , if i remember right they used to have a rounders team and i used to watch em up the midland bank ground at dore.thats if its the right firm which i think it is

id love to trace some of my old workmates who i worked alongside at balfour darwins steel works in the wicker from 1965-71!-i worked in the printing/stationary dept.and i remember---judy wood,sandra hartley,margaret black,pam mcquillan,shirley mullins,and from other departments--andrew pointer,malcom?,john ingram,john gascoigne,jannette?brian tidy,rita(post room) heather? and im sure there are a lot more that will spring to mind!ive already met up with joan ritson from shipping dept!---they had there own wacky races syndicate every week when they used to bet on the winner on tv!

unfortunately some of my old workmates have passed away-peter hancock being the most noable one-he passed away about 7 years ago aged 50:(

Hi, I worked at Balfour Darwins in The Wicker from 1957 to 1976. I worked at first as a junior in M Department and eventually into F Department. Have some great and happy memories of my time there, and of the sports club too, as I played in the works teams for rounders, netball, table tennis and badminton. My younger sister came to work with us later. :hihi:

Hi,

My Father retired from Balfours on the Wicker in 1969 after 51 years service!

His name was Sydney Rhodes and I think he worked in G department

I remember your father, and in fact my friend and colleague (a twin) married his son (maybe it's you!?) I still see Christine Day occasionally, she used to work for your father too.

my sister and my aunt worked there , if i remember right they used to have a rounders team and i used to watch em up the midland bank ground at dore.thats if its the right firm which i think it is

Yes, they sure did have a rounders team and I was the bowler. We had some super times especially when we won the cup!!

I remember your father, and in fact my friend and colleague (a twin) married his son (maybe it's you!?) I still see Christine Day occasionally, she used to work for your father too.

My eldest brother married the twin, would you like me to put you in touch?

My eldest brother married the twin, would you like me to put you in touch?

That sure would be cool. I used to play netball and rounders with the twins and even went on holiday with Roma. Happy days,