HELP!! what is the matter with my mums dog??

my mum has a little 3 yr old jack russell x staffy, and she has got a blood shot eye and keeps breathing weird; breathing in but its sort of like hiccuping but not,,, i can't really explain and i have just been stroking her and she seems to have a lump, i moved her fur and there is a white lump on he back the size of two peas.

i have read on some sites that its a cyst and nothing to worry about. but the thing is i am worried, really worried. I am going to book her into the vets asap, but just wanted to know what it could be as my mum is panicking.

can anyone help please!!!!

thank youuu!!

http://www.vetinfo.com/dlumps.html

This is about lumps bumps and skin tags in dogs, see if theres anything that matches it might put your mind at ease if you know what it is.

The bloodshot eye could be stress or she might have caught herself outside...and the breathing could be stress too but im really not sure.

Hope everythnigs ok and its nothing to worry about. Good luck at the vets x

Is she taking quick gasps up her nose? If so its nothing to panic about its simply sometimes referred to as reverse sneezing or Paroxysmal Respiration to use the technical term. It can be quite frightening to a first time dog owner but usually passes after a few minutes. It is more common in smaller dogs and is very common its not an illness, its just a dog thing. Two of mine do it regularly.

With regards to the lump, no lump is an immediate emergency but does need to be checked and could be anything from a fatty lump, cyst it may not even be anything sinister but still needs checking by a vet. She could have a bloodshot eye for many reasons not necessarily connected to any of the above, she may have an infection or may have scratched it the vet will put some dye in the check it when you go.

Try not to worry

hey Gemima, thats exactly what she was doing ''reverse sneezing'' thanks for the advise, she is booked it for 2:15 atleast my mum can get some relief in knowing what exactly it is :)

regards, Lauren.

great news, the vet said it was just like a fatty lump and nothing to worry about he also advised me to just keep an eye on it :) so all is well, i hope it stays the size it is.

does anyone know if it could turn into something nasty?

sonic x

great news, the vet said it was just like a fatty lump and nothing to worry about he also advised me to just keep an eye on it :) so all is well, i hope it stays the size it is.

does anyone know if it could turn into something nasty?

sonic x

Should be fine if its just a fatty lump shouldnt cause any problem they can crytalise and become hard causing problems depending were they are.Would,nt worry too much if it was a cyist theres a chance it could start leaking and get infected.Other than keeping a eye on it or insisting they do a biopsy not much more to be done realy it may or may not get larger it may even shrink.

My great dane has several cysts since shes been older. The one on her back burst - so I took her to the vets and after a weeks antibiotics it was all cleared up - and she didn't have a lump on her back anymore. Hers are the size of peas if that helps. Also, my yorkshire terrier does the 'reverse sneezing' usually if he gets giddy or excited - but he has a collapsing trachea and I believe this is the cause of his - although this is not the only cause. Glad your dog is ok.