Supervisor @ Somerfield earning over 18.5K?

I dont think so do you?, been given some details of some one who is proposing to be a gurantor on a rented property. I stated they had to earn over 18.5k and own thier own property.

This person says they are a supervisor @ somerfield. This made me immediately think this person wont be earning over that amount. Obviously i shall be checking wage slips etc.

But what are other peoples hunches?

Maybe they included unsocial hours enhancements for working evenings/weekends (if Somerfield pay any).

I don't know. It sounds about right to me, that isn't a very big weekly wage, is it?

I would say thats about right.

http://lmgtfy.com/

http://www.somerfieldcareers.co.uk/vacancies/retail/

"

Standard working hours for this role are 38 per week, 5 days in 7, and you will need to be completely flexible to work anytime between 6am and 10pm. The basic pay rate is £6.35 per hour, rising to £6.75 once you are signed off as a Duty Manager and multi-skilled throughout the store.

Pension scheme after 12 weeks probation, life assurance, childcare vouchers and flexible benefits booklet. Overtime (over 38 hours) will be paid at 1.5x usual pay, night work (between 22:00 and 06:00) at 1.33x, Christmas Day at 3x and New Years Day at 2x."

Thanks mutewitness, me thinks they was telling me porkies then!

I have rung the store directly and he nearly choked when i asked if they was earning over 18.5k!!

Edited by Phil-Sheff

I dont think so do you?, been given some details of some one who is proposing to be a gurantor on a rented property. I stated they had to earn over 18.5k and own thier own property.

This person says they are a supervisor @ somerfield. This made me immediately think this person wont be earning over that amount. Obviously i shall be checking wage slips etc.

But what are other peoples hunches?

Some places have their heirarchy a different way round to the mainstream. I used to work for a fast food franchise adn it went staff- supervisor- shift manager- assistant manager- store manager. My brother however works part time for a well known freezer food store and is a shift manager, his next step up would be store supervisor, where at full time he would earn 17k.

Phil-sheff, if your so bothered, cant you contact the company themselves? cause at the end of the day, the above job details are for 38 hours a week.

Im contracted to 40 hours per week but in 5 years in the job havent done under 45 hours a week!

Phil-sheff, if your so bothered, cant you contact the company themselves? cause at the end of the day, the above job details are for 38 hours a week.

Im contracted to 40 hours per week but in 5 years in the job havent done under 45 hours a week!

i have done so:)

I would have thought that with overtime, unsociable hours and Sundays they could bump that up to 18k+. But you are right, the basic pay would be well well below.

it depends what the job actually involves, rather than what the job description suggests.

dont know about somerfield, but at tesco a "duty manager" (same thing as an assistant manager) gets 18.5k a year as basic wage. on top of that there is extra for working bank holidays, overtime if you work over your hours, unsociable hours pay, generous expenses if you have to travel etc and a potential for a 15% bonus every month and a potential for another 15% bonus every quarter as well.

on average a year a duty manager makes about £22-£23k after all that, thats just in the little express shops though. the equivelant position in a superstore (manager of a department) gets a higher hourly rate but doesnt get any bonuses.

at the end of the last financial year my pay slip said i had earned just under £24k doing the above job. and this month i am getting a 30% bonus which is an extra £500 in my pay so those numbers can add up over a year.

and the store managers get double what the duty manager earns

there is a lot of false beliefs about working in supermarkets and what they pay. when i moved into a flat and had to do the whole proving income thing the estate agent was of the distinct opinion that i would be stretching myself with the rent payments when i told him where i worked. he looked rather shocked when i provided pay slips showing all the above and then requested to pay for 6 months rent upfront so i didnt have to bother myself with remembering to pay it each month.

some people need to stop with the steroetypes and actually look at the facts.

just re-read mute witnesses post. £6.35ph for a supervisor/duty manager? i wonder what the job actually is as £6.35 is what the checkout staff and shelf stackers get at tesco. if it is an "assistant managing the shop" role, they are getting seriously ripped off