Naughty 4 yr old on Sheffield Star tonight front page!

Counselling is best as at home he can do what he wants so is feeling confused and angry because school won't let him do the same. Needs to learn to control anger as does Nursery Assistant. If brother is having problems then perhaps family therapy would be better. Don't see how being violent to a violent child teaches him that violence is wrong, just teaches him that you just need to be bigger than the one you hit, not good for smaller children in his class.

im a builder :suspect:

Exactally, you've got one of the roughest arses going.........:D

If he has no boundaries and his mother isn't teaching him right from wrong he will be confused! Children of that age need to be loved, feel secure and crave the interest and positive attention from adults - if they don't get it through doing well and pleasing adults then they'll get it from behaving badly.

I think it's really sad that so many people seem to want to blame the child for the failings of his mother.

99% of behaviour problems, including 'ADHD' with children can be attributed to their parents / home life. You're right, it is unfair how we blame kids for their parents faults.

Although not an exact Science, the Supernanny programme always find something is wrong at home, which is why the children behave badly.

The worst thing to come out of all this would be for this woman to be pushed up the counselling list - which is what she seems to want. It is about time we clamped down on these people. As for the children - I don't know what to say? - take them away to boarding school where they will be looked after with care, routine and structure - or leave them with bad parents who will turn them into the ASBOs of tomorrow causing pain, damage and discomfort for years to come.

This post explains the circs of his fathers death.

Thanks, I must have missed that. Very, very sad.

Have to agree with the OP, a good clip around the lugs would do him a world of good.

It's no wonder we get irresponsible teenagers with the namby pamby attitudes of some on here! Give him a telling off haha!

Wait so you're telling me that if i smack my daughter that its a guaruntee that she won't be an irresponsible teenager???I think not, if you teach a child right from wrong at a young age there is no need for smacking, i certainly wont be smacking my childother than a slap on the hand and if you think of me as having a namby pamby attitude then that isn't my problem. I'm saying that before everyone jumps to conclusions about the boy being this the mother being that we really know nothing about what the school has tried to do to help. And also if you want to smack your child thats upto you i wont be smacking mine simple as that.:rant:

Kids are moulded by the people around them! he has obviously had a bad time loosing his father but Im sure this didn't create such a disfunctional child! I believe the mother has tiptoed around him since his father died and has told herself that shouting/smacking him after any bad behaviour would be wrong as he is greaving for his father. But, this hasn't worked as he is now gettin out of control because he knows he will get away with it! There are many other children that have been through worse and got on just fine in life! I just hope for the kids sake that his mother stops passing blame and starts giving concequences to his bad behaviour! He must learn now he cannot behave like that!

Maybe she has tiptoed around him and let them rule the roost as it were, but i strongly believe that hiting a child in my opinion isn't the answer he needs to learn discipline and right from wrong but there are other ways to teach a child to do this than hitting.

your right no one who doesn't know you should comment.

But do you seriously ring social

services when you see a parent smack

a child on the bum for being naughty?

no dont be silly, but the way some of these parents are going off using the words THRASHING and BELT to a young child i get the expression that it would be far more then just a smack on the bum.

i admit i smacked my child when he was young (on the bum) but it didnt make a blind bit of difference, he would either hit me back, hit his brother or hurt himself, turned out he just needed his mummy to listen and to love and support him, i admit i wasnt the best mum in the world, but once i got the help and support i needed i was then able to do the same for my son. in a way i do blame myself for my childs behavior and wish i did things differently, luckly we worked together before it was too late and as ive said he is a great kid now, im proud of him!

but smacking is not the way to go.

Maybe she has tiptoed around him and let them rule the roost as it were, but i strongly believe that hiting a child in my opinion isn't the answer he needs to learn discipline and right from wrong but there are other ways to teach a child to do this than hitting.

i agree, for some reason and i dont even know how it came about, but when my son is playing silly beggers all i have to do his say his name in a stern voice and give him "the look" he knows i mean business and calms down! and if he does not calm, we take away his psp or something for a week or leave him at home when we go for a family day out (with his grand parents) but more often then not because he knows what will happen if he does not stop being a sod, he just calms down,

You don't need to hit a child to discipline them. You need a firm hand and plenty of rewards for good behaviour. A child needs to know when you say No you mean No. So many parents seem unable to use that word. I don't know about this Mum but I'm guessing that she was letting him get his own way for a quiet life. That is understandable as she had lost her husband in destressing circumstances and she is bringing children up on her own. But there are also plenty of parents not in her situation who are avoiding being firm and are storing up trouble. I had a child that used to bite as a toddler. I made a deal with the child. You don't bite anyone in playgroup I will give you a baloon. Eventually we had a bedroom full of baloons but also a child who had stopped biting. I did similar deals with my other children when they exibited some antisocial behaviour though not always baloons. Discipline does not mean beating up your child.

I'm sure any counsellor or child behaviour expert would endorse appearing on the front of a tatty local rag as a surefire way to help with the bereavement process. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more.

Another 'blame everyone else' story with accompanying photo from the rag that is the Star.

I await a story of a no win no fee claim in due course. :rant:

Edited by Zaytsev

You don't need to hit a child to discipline them. You need a firm hand and plenty of rewards for good behaviour. A child needs to know when you say No you mean No. So many parents seem unable to use that word. I don't know about this Mum but I'm guessing that she was letting him get his own way for a quiet life. That is understandable as she had lost her husband in destressing circumstances and she is bringing children up on her own. But there are also plenty of parents not in her situation who are avoiding being firm and are storing up trouble. I had a child that used to bite as a toddler. I made a deal with the child. You don't bite anyone in playgroup I will give you a baloon. Eventually we had a bedroom full of baloons but also a child who had stopped biting. I did similar deals with my other children when they exibited some antisocial behaviour though not always baloons. Discipline does not mean beating up your child.

I agree with your general message however the 'plenty of rewards for good behaviour' is in my eyes a problem. Good behaviour should be the de-facto position with rewards for achievement and sanctions for bad behaviour.