Old age pensioners or Senior citizens ?

Originally posted by Snook

... about chavs?

Knowing our Les he wouldn't even know who or what a chav is.. He moans about everything else though, and I mean EVERYTHING..

Originally posted by Rich

Knowing our Les he wouldn't even know who or what a chav is.. He moans about everything else though, and I mean EVERYTHING..

With you for a Nephew he's got plenty to moan about :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Originally posted by pattricia

Ha-Ha .Poppins. Very funny ! I might just tell her one day what you said. I love Twirlies though,forget about us getting on the bus too early,and imagine someone twirling around and around in a lovely gypsy tiered skirt to "Frank Sinatras" "Strangers in the Night".Trouble is our old fellas a bit too fat now for that sort of thing.Hazel You dont sound like a Pensioner ! But should we sound or write like a pensioner?

Thanks for saying that patricia, I want to sound like I am, not to be judged by age, but neither do you sound like a pensioner.

What does a pensioner sound like.?

Seem to me like Rich's Uncle Les.

hazel

Is it true that 'senior citizens' in the US refers to anyone over the age of 55? Which is obviously quite young - and I can't imagine anyone in this country referring to a 55 year old as an OAP!

I'm not sure which I prefer. I think OAP conjures up images of very old and frail people, but nowadays it tends to be only the very old who are like this. Most 'retirees' in their 60s and 70s are still very fit and active and don't seem old at all. I think this trend will only increase as the baby boomers reach retirement age. But then senior citizen just sounds like yet another Americanism creeping into use over here.

To be honest I don't give a toss whether folk refer to me as an OAP or a Senior Citizen so long as those who are working are paying their taxes to fund my State Pension. :heyhey: :heyhey:

What are people trying to state when they say OAP......Are they saying that people over a certain age are on pension?

There for they are scrounging off the benefits?

THe Term Senior Citizen is the most respectfull way of calling a person that has worked all his life for the low life that now seems to prevail.

A person that has lived to help forge this country or any other IS. A senior citizen in all interpretation of the word senior!

Nothing American about it!

What about 'Q Tips'?

I heard this phrase on a number of occasions when I lived in the US and thought it was a good, graphic description of people of mature years.

Hi Hazel, I'm sure your friends on the forum would like to wish you a very happy birthday, have a wonderful day my friend, and we all wish you many more.

Thanks Mary,

I'm having a lovely day, just waiting now for my eldeest son to visit, he's always a little late.

hazel

Originally posted by Dragon

Why Twirlies? I asked

It has to do with their bus pass mate.

Their bus pass?

They are only allowed to use them after a certain time but they still try even when you tell them they are too early.

Otherwise recounted as them loitering at bus stops at 9.15, stopping buses and asking 'am a twirly?' the answer being 'yes!' :hihi:

Originally posted by LordChaverly

What about 'Q Tips'?

I heard this phrase on a number of occasions when I lived in the US and thought it was a good, graphic description of people of mature years.

Trying to "get it" but can't 'Q Tips' :confused:

I must be having a Senior moment !