The Nelson pub at the top of the Moor

Don't remember the Nelson of your time OLDIE!  but did go in a few times in the 60s the place was packed to the rafters on a Saturday night bit of a rough & tumble place, one of those pubs that you had to be careful not to bump into or spill someone's drink when making your way to the bar! We stopped going in after some guy was stabbed, didn't venture into town much after that! If we did it would be to the Wapentake or the Buccaneer.

Redgates was located on the Moor at the time!  the bus stop home for us was just in front of the shop.

On 13/05/2019 at 11:09, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Remembering the Nelson Pub, which I think was across the road from the old Redgates store. Can anyone remember the landlord of fairly recent times who was obsessed with plastic surgery? I seem to think he held a record for having most done or something like that!!!! I have a vague recollection that Cindy Jackson the woman who had most plastic surgery in the UK came to meet him?

I can't  remember the landlord but I do remember first seeing Joe Cocker and his band in the early 60s. It was either there at the Nelson or maybe the Minera. 

1 hour ago, jaffa1 said:

I can't  remember the landlord but I do remember first seeing Joe Cocker and his band in the early 60s. It was either there at the Nelson or maybe the Minera. 

More likely the Minerva, don't really think they had live music in the Nelson, could be wrong only dropped in there a few odd times on a pub crawl or two. Never saw a band that I recall. Not a lot of downtown pubs had live music in the 60s at least not on weekends, the places were packed anyway, they didn't need to pay a band. The Black Swan and the Marples were the main exception, but they had big concert rooms.

18 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

More likely the Minerva, don't really think they had live music in the Nelson, could be wrong only dropped in there a few odd times on a pub crawl or two. Never saw a band that I recall. Not a lot of downtown pubs had live music in the 60s at least not on weekends, the places were packed anyway, they didn't need to pay a band. The Black Swan and the Marples were the main exception, but they had big concert rooms.

It was around 1962  when Joe Cocker weren't  so well known but I think youre  right

it was most likely the Minera. 

On 27/04/2010 at 12:37, skippy said:

It was a great pub in the early 60's, there was always a band on upstairs at the weekends, they were university students from memory, and they knew all the songs of the day, and were quite good.

Round the corner at the Minerva was alright too, but a lot of people didn't like going in there as the lighting was turned very low and it was quite dark, that too had bands on at weekends, funny to see 5 blokes jammed together on a little stage in the corner of the room, but they were happy days, when Sheffield was full of music.

I can remember a Sam and Lil (car'nt remember who was on the piano) at the Minerva they also held talent nights, that must have been mid to late 1950s

Edited by alankearn

We always went in the Nelson at the weekends down stairs always packed it would be around 67 or 68 when we used the pub then down to the Travellers( ANYONE REMEMBER THAT PLACE?)Then the Hermitage up stairs.Finnish off in the Penny farthing or Heartbeat club.great era great music great everything.

Does anyone remember the graffiti in the gents toilet, pure poetry. I also recall tales of epic stories that people added a line to every time they visited the bogs.