Seat recliners on planes, now (some) airlines take action !

Me either, but I don't fly often.

We're social creatures, and on the whole we have a certain amount of empathy for those around us.

Just as I wouldn't stand in front of a small person at a concert, even though I've paid for the space, I wouldn't just recline my seat without checking with the person behind, even though I've paid for the space. It's called being polite.

As a tall person, with 35" legs, it's really uncomfortable when the person in front reclines the seat, and it annoys me. Because of that thing called empathy, most of us don't really want to annoy people. It's called being polite.

If somebody said "do you mind if I put my seat back?" then ...

1. I would probably say "no, fine". I'd still be more uncomfortable, but not annoyed.

2. If I'm with family I might say "just hold on whilst I swap with my wife".

3. If the person in front is with family I might say "Okay, but I've got really long legs would you mind swapping with your wife".

I would never say "no", and I doubt many would. But I've never been asked, and I think it would be polite if I was.

I'm guessing you don't fly very much

You guessed wrong. :)

It's a service they've paid for, and that they're using. You on the other hand are selfishly expecting them not to use it, for your own convenience.

Until I can shrink, I'll continue hating people who recline. :)

Do you reckon the baby's parents are being considerate to either the baby or the other passengers by taking the baby? Or are they ignorant cretins?

Unless the parents are heartless and leave their baby at home then they don't'the have much choice. Recliners on the other hand...

It's not ignorance at all though. (Do you even know what ignorance means?).

It's a service they've paid for, and that they're using. You on the other hand are selfishly expecting them not to use it, for your own convenience.

I think it more of people wanting more space, to the detriment of the person sat behind them.

I think it more of people wanting more space, to the detriment of the person sat behind them.

I think it more of people wanting more space, to the detriment of the person sat in front of them. Difference is one has paid for the space and the other hasn't.

jb

All the seats should be locked in the upright position until after meals and drinks have been served … problem solved .. obviously those of us with any common sense and decency already do this .;)

Are you just being stupid now?

I'm off to Dublin later, I'll be sure to recline the seat at some point, just because of this thread!

Next time I'm flying, I'll let my 4 year old son lean over the back of the chair the whole flight with his ipad. It's his space after all. I hope you're sat behind me ;)

A stewardess will quite quickly ask you to stop him doing that obviously. The fact that your counter arguments are so ridiculous makes it clear that we all know how it works and who actually is right about it. Some people are so selfish they expect others to do as they wish though.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 09:20 ----------

All the seats should be locked in the upright position until after meals and drinks have been served … problem solved .. obviously those of us with any common sense and decency already do this .;)

Assuming that the meal will be soon after takeoff (not always the case) then this wouldn't be unreasonable.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 09:20 ----------

It's people using a service they've paid for, why they do it is irrelevant, they've paid, it's there to be used.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 09:22 ----------

I would never say "no", and I doubt many would. But I've never been asked, and I think it would be polite if I was.

Which suggests that most people believe they don't need to ask, because it's their right to do it, asking does give you the option to say no... And then what can you politely do? Say, "Sorry, I was just being polite, I'm reclining it anyway"?

Which suggests that most people believe they don't need to ask, because it's their right to do it, asking does give you the option to say no... And then what can you politely do? Say, "Sorry, I was just being polite, I'm reclining it anyway"?

Nobody doubts that you have the right to put your seat back, but that's not the point. A world in which everybody knows their rights, and takes them with little regard for others is a poorer place to live in.

There is no right to be served in sequence, but we queue. We ask if a seat is taken. We say "excuse me" to temporarily invade somebody's space. Etc, etc, etc ...

I suspect the only reason why you are so keen on your rights with respect to seat reclining is that your back is to the person behind you, the person is invisible and can be safely ignored.

I have been on shared tables on inter city trains where people face each other, and more often than not I have heard the person putting their laptop on the table asking "do you mind if ..". This is despite having the very obvious right to do so, with the plug sockets and picture of a laptop. Face to face contact makes people value social politeness.

Rest assured though, that when you ignore the person behind you and recline your seat you might be annoying that person. Take that as a given from the comments here, and the loud cheer Adrian Chiles got when Frank Skinner put his choice of people that recline airline seats into Room 101.

It might be your right, but you are being rude to do so without some sort of polite acknowledgement, or check that the person behind is small or has already reclined their seat.

I'm also happy to acknowledge the right of the person in front of me. I wouldn't complain about someone reclining their seat, because of the exact same argument I'm making.

A stewardess will quite quickly ask you to stop him doing that obviously. The fact that your counter arguments are so ridiculous makes it clear that we all know how it works and who actually is right about it. Some people are so selfish they expect others to do as they wish though.

Oh the irony haha!

I'd just use the same ridiculous argument, I've paid for the space, I'm using it.

Thing is, if the person in front actually had the decency to ask if I minded if they reclined, I'd probably say yes, unless I had good reason to say no.

On one flight to Spain, I had my son on my knee (he was only 2) and the git in front just slammed the chair back as soon as the seat belt signs came on! I had no room and my son on my knee. This is the type of selfish idiots that you have to deal with!

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 10:19 ----------

I'm also happy to acknowledge the right of the person in front of me. I wouldn't complain about someone reclining their seat, because of the exact same argument I'm making.

But you'd complain if they used that space for something else, like hanging a hat on it chair or something?

You've paid to recline your seat into that space. You can't hang a coat at the same angle a chair reclines, they hang vertically, that's how gravity works.

And the reason they don't ask is that it gives you the power to say no, a power you don't hold.