Seat recliners on planes, now (some) airlines take action !

thought i might be, i said i think, not its the law... and yes we all have enough money to fork out £2k plus for a plane seat per person, even if i had enough leg room i'd still find it offensive for the person in front to decline thier seat into my face, if someone put something that close to your face in a pub more than likely they'd either get told to shift it or a scuffle would ensue, all this litrature about invading people personal space, i think that reclining a seat into someone elses face falls into the category of invading my personal space (which i've had the privelidge of paying for)

You have not had the privilege of paying for it. Economy class doesn't allow you enough space to avoid having a seat three inches away from you. If you want better conditions, you have to pay higher prices.

I refer you to my example of Southwestern Airlines above; an airline that would have you suited you ideally, except that nobody else was prepared to pay higher prices and they had to reverse the policy within weeks.

i think that reclining a seat into someone elses face falls into the category of invading my personal space (which i've had the privelidge of paying for)

If the seat did indeed recline into your face you might have a point but I've never known such a thing, perhaps on Ryanair?

On a recent flight to the states my booking details specifically stated I would have a *reclining seat* and a 31" seat pitch, basic economy class stuff. That's what I was promised, that what I paid for and that's what I got. On the outward trip the guy front reclined his seat as he was perfectly entitled to do. It was nowhere near my face and didn't cause me any undue problems (I'm 6' 0" tall).

Of course thoughtfulness is required; quickly reclining your seat while the person behind is eating their meal is grossly inconsiderate.

I have to say I find your argument very weak indeed. If you want or need more room in front without the expense of upgrading then book early and pay the extra £50 for a seat by the emergency exit. I've scored a few of those for free just by turning up early at check-in.

I think it's unreasonable of you to expect the person who has paid for a reclining seat not to use it. You can't have rock bottom ticket prices and loads of legroom, it's called cattle class for a reason. Pay up or put up.

I don't have an issue with the people in front of me - I have more of an issue with the people sitting beside me.... stealing the whole arm rest/ overflow (seat muffin)/ snoring/ drooling/ unwanted chatter/ poor hygeine/ annoying eating habbits/ children wetting themselves - to name a few.

Amen to that. Screaming babies are the worst.

If the seat did indeed recline into your face you might have a point but I've never known such a thing, perhaps on Ryanair?

On a recent flight to the states my booking details specifically stated I would have a *reclining seat* and a 31" seat pitch, basic economy class stuff. That's what I was promised, that what I paid for and that's what I got. On the outward trip the guy front reclined his seat as he was perfectly entitled to do. It was nowhere near my face and didn't cause me any undue problems (I'm 6' 0" tall).

Of course thoughtfulness is required; quickly reclining your seat while the person behind is eating their meal is grossly inconsiderate.

I have to say I find your argument very weak indeed. If you want or need more room in front without the expense of upgrading then book early and pay the extra £50 for a seat by the emergency exit. I've scored a few of those for free just by turning up early at check-in.

I think it's unreasonable of you to expect the person who has paid for a reclining seat not to use it. You can't have rock bottom ticket prices and loads of legroom, it's called cattle class for a reason. Pay up or put up.

I flew with easyjet to egypt earlier this year and thier plane had no reclining seats and i must admit after hearing stories of cramped conditions ai was really siprosed that i had more legroom than i usually do on a flight to the US, as said before we are all not affluent enough to throw cash at airlines for better seats, and im sorry but when a seat is fully reclined toward you its a very hard job just to get up from your seat and move past other seated passengers, and i cant have a exit seat because of disabilities, you may think my argument weak but even an extra £50 is a lot to ask for some people, i personally have to save for over a year and half to be able to go on holiday to the places i like so even £50 is 2 days worth of meals, we are in a recesion you know

Agree - if you have paid for a reclining seat you should be able to recline it. Just like the people behind you can recline theirs. You don't have personal space in economy class.

when i flew to florida a few years back on mytravel.

Would you have paid more for more leg room, and if so how much more would you have paid for how much extra leg room ?

I don`t agree with you, I think it`s ignorant to fully use the seat recline whilst the cabin lights are on.

The last time we flew economy (to South Africa on Air France) the fully reclined seat in front was less than 12" from my face, and that was with my head flat back against my seat. We won`t fly economy long haul, we go premium economy, or Business class, or we don`t go at all.

But the fact is that some airlines, Cathay Pacific, also recognise that it`s ignorant, because it is.

But you're wrong. Your seat reclines, and you have a right to recline it if you so choose. .

How comes everyone knows their rights but few know their responsibilities, common sense suggests waiting until the drinks and meals have been served before reclining your seat although we wouldn’t want that to effect anyone’s rights would we.

How comes everyone knows their rights but few know their responsibilities, common sense suggests waiting until the drinks and meals have been served before reclining your seat although we wouldn’t want that to effect anyone’s rights would we.

Common sense suggests that if you want more space between you and the seat in front, you pay for more space and don't fly on a cattle truck.

Common sense suggests that if you want more space between you and the seat in front, you pay for more space and don't fly on a cattle truck.

If you say so ............ :roll:

Would you have paid more for more leg room, and if so how much more would you have paid for how much extra leg room ?
like ive said before not everyone on here is mr moneybags like headingnorth, if you cant afford extra leg room you have to make do and every little thing is exagerated 10 fold when you havnt been able to get comfy for 10 hours, so the reclining seat in my personal space when i cant move my legs is a major bugbare to me